Breast cancer - lesion in neck - MRI

• 7 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi - I’m new to this group but have posted a couple of times in the other group. I had results of my 6 monthly CT scan this morning and it’s been a bit of a shock hence this posting! Sorry if I ramble - I have been having 3 weekly IV drips of Herceptin and Perjeta since Oct 2018 and just recently started having Phesco subcut at home which is great - only takes 5 mins as opposed to 2-3 hours on the ward. My scan showed a lesion in my neck and my oncologist has ordered an MRI scan of my spine. I would just like to ask if anyone else has had this, how long does it take and do you have to lie on your front ?? I’m claustrophobic but I know I have to have it. Also what treatment is given?

Thank you 

Jude

• Hi Prude

I had a MRI scan back in March on the spine and I lay on my back. It took 30 minutes but it did go very fast. They give you a button to press in case you want to ask them anything. They also give you head phones to listen to music.

I was very worried prior to the MRI as I am claustrophobic too but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

I was given a small dose of morphine before my scan as I had fractures on the spine.

I hope this helps.

X

• When I had to have an MRI I asked my GP for Diazepam to relax me, as I am also claustrophobic. It helped and I was fine. Hope it goes well for you. x

• Thank you Daisy and Jude (I’m Jude too!) I haven’t had the appointment through yet, but it will be soon Onco said. I know an MRI will take longer than CT scan and I just about tolerate them so will ask my GP for Diazapam as you suggest. 
      Thank you again for replies - hope all goes well for you both - take care Two heartsTwo heartsxx
  • Hi. I have had a diagnosis of secondaries with 3 lesions on my spine one of them on my neck. Prior to discovering I too had a MRI I laid on my back and they put a frame over my head which had a mirror on this so I had no idea I was going into the scanner. I wish you luck and fingers crossed it is not secondaries x

• Thanks so much Loulou, I’m sorry they found secondaries on your spine and neck, I feel mine will be similar. Are you having the same treatment as me Phesgo ( Herceptin/Perjeta) or has it changed after the MRI results? Hope you don’t mind me asking- it does help doesn’t it-  talking to other people ?? I don’t quite understand or I’m  dense about the frame over your head?? 
    xx

• Hi Prude I am ER positive for the cancer I think yours is HER that is maybe why you are on Phesgo......I have never heard of this treatment. By the way I have no problem with anyone asking me and I agree it helps to talk to people in the same/similar situations. Re the MRI scan, first they put me on my back and placed this frame over my head which had a mirror attached and this was directly in front of me, which meant I could see the room rather than the top of the scanner. I have tried to find a link on google but not having much luck. Heart

• Hi Loulou sorry am so long replying, I had the MRI about 10 days ago. It was ok as doctor gave me 2 diazepam tablets and I kept my eyes tightly shut. I did ask about the mirror frame you mentioned, but it was in use in another room. I should have asked ahead of my appointment. My oncologist is phoning me on Monday with the results. I haven’t had much time to think about the results as my partner was hospitalised with Legionella pneumonia and nearly died. He’d been home a few days after being in hospital for nearly 3 weeks and has had an unconfirmed mini stroke. He has to go for a brain CT next week. So it’s a very stressful time to say the least. Fingers crossed. I hope your treatment is going well for you - take care xx