Fractured ribs & spine

• 9 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi everyone,

i recently posted worried about back and shoulder pain whilst awaiting bone scan results. 

i had my results of the bone scan yesterday which shown 3 fractured ribs, one with an abnormality (hot spot) she said & a fracture in my thoracic spine. The rib fractures are on the left side the same side as my breast cancer diagnosed in January this year.

My consultant dismissed these fractures as trauma fractures when i quite clearly told her i have had no trauma.. She told me these fractures are not cancer related as my tumor was Grade 1 stage 2 - 26mm, estrogen + & her2 negative. Margins were clear and there was no lymph node involvement. a previous pet/ct scan was clear 6 months ago so they are taking no further action & refused an mri.

Do i just accept this, that these fractures & pains im having are nothing to do with the cancer or do i push for an MRI?

Can anyone advise on this please.

thank you,

Paula

• Hi Paula,

The "hot spot" would have me worried and pushing for a biopsy of that site.

I disagree with the consultant dismissing it. The initial tumour being small/caught early doesn't mean that it couldn't have spread. It just makes it more unlikely.

Hopefully a biopsy could rule out cancer, and then they can start to look for another cause for the fractures.

I'm assuming as you're ER+ that you're on medication for this, and these treatments can cause osteoporosis (weakened bones) and make you more prone to fractures.

Cheers,

Andy

• Hi Andy, 

Thank you for your response.

I am prescribed Tamoxifen but have delayed starting it as the pain I was having got worse so wanted to know what was wrong before i began that treatment. My radiotherapy is also delayed.

I am meeting with my GP on tuesday to see what I can do next & will mention a biopsy. 

It really has put me off reporting any pains or new symptoms to the breast care team as It doesnt feel like they’re interested at all.

thanks again,

Paula

• Hi Paula,

Please don't put off reporting symptoms, and please start the tamoxifen as prescribed.

All of this could be (and hopefully is) nothing, but if it is something, the sooner it's identified and treated, the better.

Which consultant is it that you mentioned initially? Surgeon? Oncologist?

My wife's mets were only found because she struggled to get onto the couch for an ultrasound scan because of a bad back. The radiologist was immediately suspicious and sent her for scans that found the mets in her spine.

Any/all pain should be investigated until a cause is found.

Cheers,

Andy

• Hi Paula

I would start your tamoxifen as soon as.  It should help the cancer from spreading and possibly reduce it.

I had pain in my spine for a few weeks and thought I had strained myself in some way.  Then I fell and pain got worse.

Thankfully this was at the time of my one year check up.  The mammogram followed by ultrasound showed something in my lymph nodes but nothing else.  I mentioned my back pain and my consultant then arranged a further CT and then MRI which identified cancer in my spine.

So definitely don’t put off reporting and I would push for the MRI or at least an explanation of the abnormality/hot spot.

Take care.

K

• Hi there

push for a scan. I had suspicious activity after 5 year mammogram and I had a lot of hip pain. I thought it may be due to my rheumatoid arthritis but my oncologist said he wanted to make sure so I was given a pet scan, mri and ct scan which led to my metastatic breast cancer in lower spine, femur, sternum and both breasts. I’m hoping that you have NOTHING going on but insist on a scan again.

hopefully all will be well and you can get on with your life 

fingers crossed Fingers crossed 

• Ask for second opinion.  You need an mri 

Good luck xxxxx

• Ask for second opinion.  You need an mri . Good luck x

• What hospital is this please ? X

• Hi, Kaz, thank you for your reply. 

After another consultation with a different consultant he ordered me a pet/ct scan which I had yesterday.

The pain is really getting me down. Hopefully will have answers soon.

i hope you are well xx

Paula