Bone scan for back/shoulder pain

• 3 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi , I hope im ok posting in here,

I was diagnosed with IDC in February this year, had surgery in march for a 26mm tumor: E + her2 negative. No lymph involvement and margins clear. I was supposed to start radiotherapy this month but could not tolerate the pre treatment CT scan due to new shoulder pain and being unable to raise my arm. 

The shoulder pain started in April time, gradually getting worse to the point i cannot sleep on that arm & is worse during the night. Ive had the lower back pain for over a year which is now so bad its limiting what i can do. Both areas of pain are a dull ache, dead arm type feeling & the more I do the more the back pain is horrendous. 

I met with my consultant mid june who reluctantly ordered a bone scan. He first advised physio & then go back to see him if that didnt work. Its only because I pushed him to order the scan that he did. 

I had the scan 10 days ago. The technician said the scan would last around 30 minutes, I was in there over a hour and told they needed to ct scan me afterwards which they did. The results they said would take around 2 weeks however, I received a notification on my nhs app yesterday with a new appointment with my consultant in September!! 8 weeks away! 

im at loss what this appointment is for & surely they wont make me wait that long for the results & does this mean everything is clear on the scan? Im going to contact my BN on monday but my heads a mess with it all & looking for advice or wondering if anyone has experienced the same? Do bone scans usually last that long & are ct scans routined following the bone scan? Has anyone had delayed results like this?

thank you,

Paula 

• Hi Paula,

Sorry to hear you're going through all this. Does that pain seem to relate to the incision for the lymph node biopsy? I remember my wife having to do daily stretching to be able to raise her arms above her head for radiotherapy.

My wife is being treated privately, so we don't have much experience with NHS cancer care, but I'd have hoped if there was something found on the scans that an appointment would be much sooner.

Did they mention which consultant the appointment would be with? (Surgeon, Oncologist etc.)

Cheers,

Andy

• Hi Booby, thank you for your reply. 

yes I did the exercises but strangely, the pain is on the opposite shoulder. My breast cancer was on the left, the pain is on the right shoulder. 

my appointment is with my consultant who ordered the scan.. I will phone my breast care nurse tmrw. I just wish they wouldnt leave you wondering like this. The scan maybe clear but when im having pain like this its hard not to worry.

thank you,

Paula

• Just a lil update..After speaking to my Breast C nurse she confirmed the results of my bone scan are in but she wudnt tell me them over the phone. She has said my appointment I had that was 8 weeks away is now arranged for next Thursday 25th & will find out my results then!

Surely if the scan was clear they’d tell me the results there & then on the phone. Im worried that something sinister is on the scan xx has anyone had to wait for results but they was fine afterwards?

Thank you,

paula