Paclitaxol

• 6 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi, I’ve been in capecitabine but my secondary breast cancer in my sternum has now spread to my lymph nodes under my left collar bone. So I am about to go on Paclitaxol and was wondering if any one had any advise/shared experience please?

thanks Mel

• Hi  

I had paclitaxel following a lumpectomy for triple negative breast cancer.

Mine was given weekly and I had no side effects from it. In fact my hair, which I'd lost while on the previous chemo, started to grow back.

I hope you find it easy too.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Just about ti start capecitabine or paclotaxol and nervous 

• Hi  

It's natural to be nervous, I certainly was before my first dose of chemotherapy, but hopefully you'll suffer from few if any side effects. If you do suffer from side effects do let the chemotherapy nurses know as they should be able to prescribe something to help.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for your positive feedback, one week in and so far so good, only one bad day due to steroids I suspect Thumbsup

• Hi Caroline, I too was nervous before starting capecitabine 6 months ago as the side effects are an horrendous read, and I almost said I didn’t want it, but my Onc suggest I start it and if I had bad side effects they could reduce the dose. So I started it and it kept me stable for 6 months with the odd need for Imodium (but only after wine) being my only side effect, in fact I ended up not wanting to come off it in the end but unfortunately my cancer has found a way through it so am now one week into pacitaxol of 12 to 18 doses once a week and so far so good. Fear of the unknown is frightening but fighting my cancer spreading is my only goal at the moment. Don’t be frightened its a good medicine, my advice is try it and deal with whatever it throws at you if it throws anything, it’s your body and you know it best. Stay as positive as you can, sending hugs x

• Thank you for this. I may have paclitaxol or capecitabine, starting soon. 
    If the taxol is weekly how do you ever get to go for a holiday? 
    not looking forward to weekly fitting of cannula either.

I have had taxatere in the past which was very grim. My oncologist says taxol weekly is not like that. I hope.