Finding secondary cancer

• 8 replies
  • 35 subscribers

I am confused and wondering how secondary breast cancer is usually found. Is it because it causes pain? If not, I feel quite worried that one might have it for quite some time before it happens to bPrayfound. Is it really this random, or does the annual checkup look for signs of it specifically ? Are blood tests taken in the annual check up? I’m sorry I sound a bit stupid, but no one has spoken toPraye about it really. I’m on tamoxifen for 5+ years now. Many thanks PrayPray

• In the UK cancer treatment seems to be symptom led; so if you don’t have any symptoms they will not go looking for disease. The annual blood tests though could flag up issues though, particularly with things like calcium levels and liver enzymes. 
    I was on tamoxifen for three years, then exemestane for eight. Whenever I had a concern the medics responded quickly. I stopped in 2016 as they said that were was no evidence that further treatment was needed. I started experiencing issues five years later unfortunately.

• I'll second 's answer.

My wife had follow up Mammo, US, Clinical Exam. It was only when she complained of severe back pain that she had been suffering with while struggling to get off the exam table that a PET scan was ordered and spinal mets found.

So it seems you need to have some form of worrying symptom to progress to further investigation.

• Similar story here.

I had BC originally in 2008 and was treated with a lumpectomy, radiotherapy and Tamoxifen for 10 years. I can honestly say other than the annual and then three-yearly checkups and prior to being diagnosed with secondary breast cancer last year, I honestly didn't think about cancer. 

My secondary diagnosis followed after the lymph nodes in my neck swelled. This time I have TNBC whereas originally it was ER+. 

Easier said than done but try not to worry. Are you recently diagnosed or have you been taking Tamoxifen for 5 years?

• For some of us we go straight from 0 to stage 4 with nothing in between.
    I've never had early cancer.
    I found a sizeable lump Dec.2020 just 3 weeks after my husband's funeral. I was just about getting my sleep patterns back on track after working from home and being his carer all through 2020. This was one weekend at the start of the 2020 xmas lockdown.
    I phoned the GP immediately on the Monday morning and was seen that afternoon. Yes, same day face-to-face appt. In the New Year, just 3 weeks later I spent over 6 hours at the Breast Clinic, then scans etc. followed. Full diagnosis just a few short weeks after that. Secondaries in bones (rib, pelvis & spine), but organs all clear.
    It's been 19 months now since full diagnosis, about 20 since the b****** lump first appeared. On the whole I now think of being stage 4 as having to manage a chronic health condition.
    Oh, in case of doubt, there were no other symptoms, nothing I missed, overlooked or ignored. My mother had cancer a few years ago with complications that have left her disabled. I have always self-examined, always been for screening (well the 2 times I was called). I just have really sh!t luck, it happens.

• I was given the all clear in January from 1st TNBC. In April I pulled my back and it hadn’t eased by may. I rang my bc nurse and they booked me in. Waiting for the appointment I found a new lump in the same breast. Tests came back it was metastatic and is now in my liver and lungs. I went from grade 3 to stage 4 in 6 months. I think just keeping an eye on your own body is the key. 
    Im now back on Paclitaxle and the side effects are worse this time round.,

Here if you need a chat xx  

• Have a look at the red flags info shown here - SBC Infographics (abcdiagnosis.co.uk)

A lot of doctors don't tell us what to look out for but there are signs you can monitor for yourself.  I had a swollen lymph node in my neck in my 5th year following primary diagnosis, was referred for a scan and they found cancer in my liver, turned out to be a secondary.  I had no symptoms at all apart from the lump in my neck  - which is on the list here as a red flag!  I think the NHS is supposed to give you a personal care plan including this type of information now?? I hope this is helpful, sending you my best wishes. 

• I had breast cancer 17 years ago. Cleared with surgery and then to be extra careful chemo and radiation. Last month found secondary breast cancer, not the same one, a new cancer. Just bad luck! In fact, some good luck - I had been to the clinic thinking my breast felt just a bit 'odd', but nothing found on mammogram. No pain. But a few weeks later by chance found a lymph node lump. Already spread to lungs - but short of having constant MRI or CT scans, no way of knowing. I'm glad I had 17 years cancer free. 

• Hi there, I finished treatment for breast cancer in June 2020. Went to GP in June this year with pain in ribs and back…told it was muscle strain. Asked my oncology nurse…muscle. Asked again in September…muscle asked again another 3 times. On the last occasion I was sent for a bone scan, Oncologist expecting it to be muscle pain and guess what? It’s actually secondaries in ribs and spine!! 
    Please, any change at all be more forceful than me and insist you get checked!! x