Secondary breast cancer chemotherapy

• 6 replies
  • 28 subscribers

My wife has been prescribed Ibrance for 21 days of the month and takes Letrozole tablets daily. She has a monthly injection of Densomubab. She has just finished her first course of treatment but is suffering horrendously with fatigue and it is affecting both of us mentally. 

Is this a normal reaction to these drugs? Will she feel better as she completes each 21 day cycle? She has lost 2.5 stone and had poor appetite and no energy.

To be honest we cannot go on like this for much longer.

Brummie Nick

• Hi Nick,

sorry to hear that your wife is suffering; everyone reacts differently to the drugs! I am on the same regime and have not had these issues, but did struggle with chemo. You need to go back to the oncologist ( or BC nurse) and get help soon as. Your wife should not be having to deal with this! 
    mary

• On the forum it recommended taking it in the evening as you are resting at night anyway; that’s what I have done. Could be worth trying. The onc can also cut the dose, which doesn’t seem to affect the efficacy of the drug!

• Hi Meiard thank you so much for your suggestion. We never even gave this a thought as my wife has been taking it first thing in the morning. She starts her second treatment next Tuesday and she will follow your advice. Your message really cheered us up when we read it this morning. We can’t thank you enough.

• Hi Nick

After a few months on the highest dose of ibrance (125mg) I was struggling with side effects, low neutrophils and fatigue. My oncologist dropped my dose to 100 per day and I've been great since. Don't lose hope there's options Slight smile

Take care

Jools 

• Hi Jools many thanks for your text. I assume that you were on the 125mg dose for your initial few treatments before they lowered your dose. My wife has so far only had her first treatment of 21 tablets and we go back to the hospital next Tuesday so they may say she needs the higher dose now because they need to zap the cancer cells. I can understand this but the problem is she just feels awful. At least from your text it may offer us some hope once she has completed the first few treatments.

• Hi there Nick, yes I was on the 125mg for about 10 months until they lowered my dosage. Apparently it doesn't affect the efficacy of the drug by going onto the lower dose. When you discuss the extreme fatigue etc with your oncologist they will advise, take care

Jools