Capecitabine

• 27 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Faslodex and Ibrance have stopped working after only ten months. Now moving onto Capecitabine (spelling?) what are peoples experiences of this chemotherapy? 

• Hi 

Sorry to hear that. Have you felt this way both cycles? I haven't been taking the anti-sickness because I haven't needed it but they gave me Metoclopramide. If you haven't already, can you go back to the team and tell them your anti-sickness meds aren't working? 

I'm on 2300mg Capecitabine. It's amazing really how different we are in tolerating it or not. I really hope the side effects abate for you soon. How are you in your week off?

• Hi fhgirl, thank you so much for your reply. Wow you are on a much higher dose and tolerate it well. That's great. I'll ask for Metoclopramide. Hope Cape will keep working well for you and without much side effects. `take good care.

• Capecitabine was magnificent in tackling the tumours in my chest and cured the debilitating cough I'd had for over a year. Few side effects in terms of digestion, occasional nausea only. The cumulative effect on my feet and hands however became unbearable at times,  as I was unable to walk, losing sleep too with hand pain. Now I'm on everolimus, feet and hands have recovered but new side effects taking place, chemo mouth. Capecitabine is very effective when tolerated. I hope you do well with it. 

• Thanks for saying capecitabine can be very effective. I'm having a bit of a wobble because symptoms I had earlier on seem to be coming back  and it worries me that treatment isn't working (only just coming to the end of my second cycle).

You said the pain in your hands and feet was accumulative - did this happen after a number of cycles?

I hope your new side effects diminish for you. 

One thing I'm finding is that because I am not on the outside how others who are undergoing IV chemo appear - my husband and MIL who lives with us - and because at the moment the worst side effect is bouts of fatigue, they aren't rushing to help out or even be careful around me (MIL isn't doing LFTs after she has been out and abiut). My husbands father had cancer years ago but he lost his hair and so there was a visual reminder to be careful around him. 

Wishing all happy festivities x 

• I just started Capecitabine and nearly finishing my first cycle. I have tumours in my chest lymph nodes amongst other places, which leaves me with breathlessness and, like you, a cough. I'm so pleased to hear it helped this. How long have you been on it? 

• I was on capecitabine for 10 months. Worked wonderfully on lymph tumors in my chest. And stopped the cough. I've stopped taking it now as I have further growths on my liver and the side effects of hand and foot syndrome were incompatible with leading a normal life. I'm just hoping that the new drug, everolimus does the trick. Good luck with capecitabine. 

• Hi

Hand and foot syndrome is cumulative in its effect. MY feet and hands were painful,  swollen, dry and frequently cracked. The fissures on my feet became very bad and it became too painful to walk. I stopped treatment after 10 months and switched to everolimus. Now the second month on this, feet and hands have recovered well. I'm keeping up with the moisturiser and have promised myself to listen to my body. When fatigued, you need to take yourself off to rest. Ask for refreshments and consideration. Tell your family how you feel. It's not just about what they can see. Hope it goes well for you. 

• Thank you Val. I wish you all the best too. Its just a never ending circle I feel x

• Yes. We just have to ensure it's a very big circle!

• Hi I was on it for 10months and loved it as could continue relatively normal life with it. As others say it did affect my hands and feet but I got good at bandaging them to walk and I used ointment sailors use to tackle dryness Snowfire. I’d recommend it. Took me some trial and error to find out about it. Unfortunately when sCapecitabine stopped being effective that happened quite quickly (causing damage to my kidney function). So my only regret is I wasn’t scanned more frequently/faster when on it.