Low blood count on Palbociclib

• 5 replies
  • 30 subscribers

I’ve been getting on really well with Palbociclib and Letrozole for my lung mets. Was about to do cycle 10 Had blood tests Saturday, call Monday from pharmacy to say low count 0.98, had to go back Tuesday this week for full blood count, still too low not above 1 yet, have been deferred for a week. Had slight palpitations and feel tired apart from that feel bit run down.

Have been resting, drinking plenty Keeping my vitamins up.

any other tips before blood done again tomorrow

RC  

• Hi Rosie I'm on cycle 7 of palbociclib and letrozole, this is a problem for me every month. My neuts are usually at 0.8 after my week off and I've been delayed an extra week each time.. oncologist not too worried. My mets are spine and hip, lungs are being monitored. First scan healing in bone and no spread, waiting for most recent scan results. Hope this helps

Jools xx

• You are doing all the right things, unfortunately all we can do is rest and repeat 

• My Paldo dose was reduced 125 to 100 after 3 or 4 months because of low neutrophils. My oncologist didn't like the extra week break in treatment and said the dose lowering should help. It did, no threshold fails since. This week my wonderful CNS ladies were suggesting a further reduction because my fatigue levels are really interfering with my life. What I did not know earlier is that once they reduce, they never increase the Palbo dose. I was assured this was ok, many ladies continued on successful treatment with further reduced doses. What is important in the treatment on the tumours is the continuity of attack (treatment), and not just the actual dose.

Well I'm likely to be off work from some time very soon, so I wanted to see how that might help first before an irreversible reduction in the palbo again. Do I declined the dose decease at this time.

• Apologies, a bit slow to comment.

I believe the best thing you can do is sleep, but I know that’s easier said than done. I struggle with prioritising me, but that’s what all the advice is to do. I find that helps with getting more rest.

I do follow some immune system experts on social media. They say that mushrooms are really good for you, but I don’t know if that’s just mumbo jumbo. I do try and juice a lot. Plus I like baby spinach and avocado. Last time I had a blood test they said I was high in potassium though and had I been eating lots of bananas? I then realised that spinach, avocado and my other favourite raisins, are all high in potassium so I guess it’s all about everything in moderation!

It all comes back to sleep, mediation and little exercise and then you’ve done everything you possibly can and it’s up to fate.

Hope your bloods were ok and you’re on the treatment you want to be.

• I have had problems with neutrophils dropping below 1.0 with both chemo and pablociclib. My dose was cut on this my third cycle and I am hoping I will make the numbers!

Looking at the scientific papers published about low neutrophils, it seems that only exercise has proven effectiveness. I upped my activity levels on the chemo and this seemed to help!