Letrozole Side effects

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 150 replies
  • 331 subscribers

Good Morning Ladies!

A question for anyone taking Letrozole.  How long was it before side effects began to manifest?  I've been on it for a whopping 4 days now and don't notice anything yet.  I will say, that I'm on a weight loss (down 10 labs) and exercise regiment as well.  Anyone care to share their stories?  My thought is better to know all the potentials than to be blind sided.  Mira

• Hi, this will depend on the brand of letrozole you have been given,, if you have not had any side affects yet i would say you are going to be ok on this brand, but when you go to the repeat prescription stage make sure you tell them you need to be on this brand of letrozole.  I am on Accord and it suits me fine, but Cipla, Teva and Actavis within 3 to 4 days I am like a 90 year old cripple, so they are a no no for me. My oncologist always marks up my prescriptions with the Accord brand only.  If they dont have it, they have to get it.    cheers Sally

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kargus

Thanks Sally:  I'm in the States and getting both treatment and drugs through our Veterans Administration which is for former military personnel.  They frequently don't identify brand names on their Rx's.  This particular one says Femara (letrozole tablets) and is made by Novartis.  I'm assuming Novartis is the brand??  You made me happy.  If this is as bad as it gets I can cope!   Thank you!  Mira

• hi, well done you, it is very rare for us here in the UK to get Femara which is the original letrozole make, and is known not to give side affects,, its the cheaper generics from that we get over here and hence we get the side affects with different brands so if you are getting femara stay with it, thats £80 a box where as the generics are around £8 a box.

• FormerMember

Yes, Femara is supposed to be the best one, Novartis is the manufacturer.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you all!  I'm feeling quite blessed right about now.  Just wish I'd get the date for my next surgery soon.  I hate not knowing.  Hugs to all!

• Hi  

To answer your original question 16 days after starting Letrozole I had a nasty dizziness episode, I think it was the drop in estrogen, don't have the dizziness now so I must have got used to it.

I concur that Femera is the orginal and best so you may be alright...here's hoping xxx

Helen
  • Hi all

I am on letrezole been on since Feb 2017. At first I was fine then recently been feeling nauseous, dizzy lightheaded, also achy bones and tiredness. This has only been for the last four weeks I am on accord and have been since the start, so five months down the line getting new side affects 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mirabo

Initially I was Ok however within weeks I felt awful. After trying Cipla and Accord Im now on the expensive Femara. I live in Scotland BTW. 

I went to my GP and Pharmacist in tears as I couldnt bear it and said Id rather stop taking it. So they gave Femara to me after I told them I'd researched the different brands. Anyway what a difference. Felt much better in a matter of days. . I'd say better the cost of that than further surgeries/ treatment if I have a recurrence.

So it might be that the brand youre on is fine for you. Its a bit of trial and error really. Good luck with this journey and hopefully the one youre on will be ok 

Elaine

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mirabo,

I have been in Letrozole since Feb and I've had to come off them. The pains in my hands were horrendous, I was told to stop taking them on Wednesday, put on Anatrozole on the Monday and in that short space of time I couldn't believe the relief I was having in my fingers. I'd just got so used to having aching hands and elbows and feet, it was like constant tooth ache that never went. Good luck with them, you sound like your on the best make.

Take care

Karen X

• FormerMember

Hello Sally,

My preferred brand of Anastrozole is Accord too.

I've been given another brand by Lloyds chemist this last prescription and my ankles, calves and hands are really aching.

Lloyds say that they can no longer get the Accord brand, which I believe I've read is made in India.

I wonder if you've come across this problem at all? Hannah x