Letrozole Side effects

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 150 replies
  • 316 subscribers

Good Morning Ladies!

A question for anyone taking Letrozole.  How long was it before side effects began to manifest?  I've been on it for a whopping 4 days now and don't notice anything yet.  I will say, that I'm on a weight loss (down 10 labs) and exercise regiment as well.  Anyone care to share their stories?  My thought is better to know all the potentials than to be blind sided.  Mira

• Hi Hannah

yes but its available, and lloyds can get it, they just need to use a different supplier, there was a problem with supplies but its still being manufactured

my hospital have got me a few months and they said its their responsibility to get it in for me

cheers

Sally

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kargus

Thanks for the info, Sally.

I've got a few days worth of the Accord brand stashed away.

If I still feel better on these then I'll have a go at Lloyds.

I told their pharmacist three times when I collected the new tablets that this drug is brand-sensitive and just got blanked. Grrrrrr!! 

Hannah x

• Hi Hannah

print off all the ammunition from this site and go armed with it, show them a batch of ladies with all the information from each of them, and say this is just the tip of the iceberg, and that you couldnt print off all the information due to the amount of trees it would take, and that oncologists are aware of the issues..  i did this with my GP, but didnt need to show him in the end as he knew about the brand differences, which is why i insist on having an appt with him, because he is very good.  If i see a different chemist the odd one has asked me why it has to be that brand, and once ive explained they have said oh very interesting, so ive told them all to look on the forum of macmillan under breast cancer and they can see all about it there,, all the best Sally x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hannah, my doctors has a Lloyd's attached to it.  My GP wrote that the patient requests accord on my prescription.  Before leaving I checked and it was another brand.  They made a phone call and told me they couldn't get Accord. So I went to Boots and they had it and will order it in for me any time they don't. One of the pharmacists was a bit sniffy and told me they were all the same and asked where I had got my information from.  McMillan was a magic word!!  So now I pick up my prescription and don't leave the pharmacy until I've.checked!!!

I posted a while ago that I'd read some Chinese research that soya and pomegranate seeds helped with side effects.  I eat this for breakfast and I still get problems but nothing I can't manage.  Good luck with it all.

• Morning  

Don't shoot the messenger, but it is advised you don't have Soya products if you are ER+ positive as not only can soya mimic oestrogens it also has an effect on Tamoxifen and any AI's like Letrozole's efficiency.

Check out the 'Do Not Take' section on the Sloan Kettering cancer support website Soya page here.

Sloan Kettering is a recommended reliable site by Macmillan for detailed cancer related info about 'Herbals' and has a brilliant index at the bottom of the page to check out other products.

Take care, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dreamthief

Hi Dreamthief!  Yes I know about the debate with soya and oestrogen.  I asked bcns but they didn't have info to help so read around and decided that 1 portion a day would be ok (occasionally a bit of ice cream too!). If it is such a no no why would they be studying it's effect on letrozle?  Had to think long and hard as having l to try and avoid radical surgery.3 more weeks to appointment but no MRI first so really don't know how any decisions can be made!  Cant be felt and only shows  a on MRI! Becoming really uptight now!  Thanks for you rely Dreamthief -. Always read your posts

• Hiya

Just thought it was worth a mention; although I have no idea the strength / concentration of soya isoflavones in any of these tablets, the sauce, tofu or whatever the soya is used in ?

J is hoping to finish her 5 years of Letrozole in a couple of months and hoping not advised to carry on for another 5 :-0

As she is taking 2 meds to counter the side effects (4 if you count Adcal+ and Alendronic Acid) and that is with Femara too :(

If you still have hassle you could see if you can get Sandoz they are made by Novartis who make Femara but Sandoz is the generic arm of the company (the tablets seem to be almost identical)

No doubt they are keeping a check on you from markers in 'bloods' ?

G n' J

• FormerMember

Hello Skylight, According to the Lloyds pharmacist I spoke to this morning, there is a national shortage of anastrozole of any kind and they can't get anything from their warehouse. Apparently all will be resolved next week. He maintained that all brands are the same and I said no they're not.

Anyway, I've now requested an Accord prescription from my doctor and have changed my chemist to Boots. The pharmacist there was well aware of the difficulties ladies experience with different anastrozole brands so she gets my vote! Best wishes, Hannah

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dreamthief

Dreamthief said:

No doubt they are keeping a check on you from markers in 'bloods' ?

G n' J

Not seen anyone since beg of Feb.  Was told 3 months.  Waited to? June cos of all the bank holidays and spoke to BC nurse.  Think I had fallen off the radar as I was phoned back pretty quickly with an appt in 6 weeks!  Luckily to prescribed letrozle!!

I think there was a general letrozle shortage a few months ago but it was resolved quite quickly.

Hope things work out for you all.

• FormerMember

Hi Skylight,

The plot thickens!! I've just changed from Lloyds to Boots chemist. Boots saved me 1 and  a half packets of Accord. They then told me that Accord is not going to be available in future. So it looks like it's back to the drawing board and trying different brands in the not too distant future,  Hannah