Biopsy inconclusive....further tests

• 0 replies
  • 270 subscribers

Hi all,

I had breast cancer in 2021.  I had full mastectomy, chemo, reconstruction and reduction (on 'non cancer' breast).

In June/July I felt a lump in the reduced breast but wasn't sure it was anything untoward.  After seeking advice on here I saw my GP.  He wasn't worried but referred me.

At the breast clinic the clinician couldn't feel anything but said they would scan me anyway.  They saw the area that correlated to the lump.  I was advised that it was likely to be fat necrosis (which is what I thought it would be).  However, they said that they would re-scan me in two months.  This unsettled me a little but I shrugged off that worry. 

I was re-scanned about three/four weeks ago.  The head radiologist doctor came in to scan me herself - as she wanted to see for herself.  She said she could see it and she wasn't worried - but she would biopsy it, to put to bed any doubts.

I got a call last week to say I had been discussed at the MDT and the pathologist wanted to run further tests.  I am so confused - I thought the biospy was supposed to clear this up.  The nurse couldn't tell me what the issue was and said it didn't necessarily mean anything negative.

Why isn't the biopsy clear?  What other tests can they be doing?  Are all biospies discussed at the MDT?  I can't help thinking the worst.

I try to remember several people have said that they aren't worried or that they think it is fat necrosis.  But I just cannot wrap my head around why the biopsy hasn't told the what they are dealing with.

I am worried that they will decide to remove the whole lump if the latest tests are inconclusive. 

Anyone with similar experiences?