Diep flap Vs implant

• 6 replies
  • 265 subscribers

Hi. I'm due to have a mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction but I hadn't considered diep flap reconstruction and now that's creeping into my mind as it is natural as opposed to a foreign body. Anyone who has had diep flap, do you still have sensation? 

• Hello JaneyD17.I had mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction 22 April .Recovery has been really good and I'm pleased with the result. I was 38C/D before the op ,the breast surgeon had said they were having to remove a large amount including skin as they were treating it as inflammatory breast cancer. I was dreading seeing what it looked like post op ,but they really have done a remarkable job .Fortunately, I had plenty of padding on my tum ,so there was enough for the plastic surgeon to rebuild the breast .It feels numb on the area where the reconstruction was done ,but I have feeling above the area and at the side. I had lymph nodes removed so part of my armpit is numb but I have to admit ,I am getting used to it .I'm going to have a breast reduction on the other side to match them a bit better ,but when I'm dressed nobody actually notices any difference.I 've been doing 3 aquafit classes a week for the last 3 weeks and it's not noticeable in my costume, plus I am happy with my flat tum. I'm glad I had the DIEP as the breast feels soft and natural .

• Hi Caff1, I am due to have a mastectomy with diep flap reconstruction in a couple of weeks. Could you tell me how long your recovery took and how you felt after surgery, thanks xx

• Hiya ,after surgery the main discomfort I  had was the stomach. Every time you move ,get in or out of bed ,cough etc felt like agony but had eased after a few weeks. I was on a 4 bed ward with all having the same procedure ,apart from one lady who had mastectomy 3yrs ago during covid when reconstruction was restricted and she had finally got to the top of the list. It's uncomfortable moving with drains fitted but they differ who long they are in. I had 4 ,and came out on day6 with one still in place but it was removed 2days later .They got us up the next day after op to get showered with help ,the next day it was showering on our own which was slow and awkward. It's up to you if you want to look at the result at that point, but I waited a day or so till I was ready . At home ,I had a v-shape pillow to help prop me up a bit and keep me on my back .I was only on paracetomol when needed .Another good idea is one of those grabber things to pick things up , so you don't have to bend over .I was surprised how quick I was able to move around, i actually went to a family christening 2 weeks after ,when I had said that I wasn't sure if i would be up to it .It's longer recovery with diep as you have 2 operation sites ,but I feel it was worth it as I am happy with the result . I'm going to have a few tweaks to improve a couple of areas ,and also have the other breast reduced to match it better but I'm not in a rush for that. 

• Thank you so much for your informative reply, it's really helpful. They've told me that they'll reduce the other breast during the same surgery, which I'm please about. I have some tickets to a show a month after surgery, which I wasn't sure I would be able to attend. I am now a little more hopeful that it'll be possible. Not sure what to buy in the way of bras to wear post surgery, any advice would be welcome. Xx

• They decided not to do my other side at the time of op because in my case they wanted to see what the reconstruction was like once it had settled ,j think because it was quite a large reconstruction. They said it could be a year to wait but time is going fast anyhow and I'm happy to wait.I had the front fastening bras from Asda ,2 for £16 .Get a size bigger than you think you may need as they are not very generous sizing .You will probably also need some high waisted support pants to also wear 24/7 .I had some from Primark that were pretty good £5 a pair ,but my favourites were m&s £10 a pair .they call them light control waist cincher but they did have good  support 

• I have now  received a letter about my visit with the plastic surgeon. The letter states that the other breast will be reduced at a later date, so maybe they've changed their minds on that. Thanks for the bra and pants info. I did buy some high waisted ones, but maybe need to get some support ones too. Xx