Does taking letrozole after breast cancer lead to problems with vagina/uterus

• 3 replies
  • 264 subscribers

I had a lumpectomy in 2022 and started on letrozole as my lump was oestrogen positive. Since then I struggled with weak muscles and my vaginal prolapse got worse so I had a cystocele and rectocele about a year ago. Then I had to have a uterine polyp removed and a endometrial biopsy. A few months later at a check up it was suggested I had lichen sclerosis. That meant another biopsy.

I was changed from letrozole to tamoxifen and that had alleviated the muscle weakness in my legs and arms but the uterus/ vaginal problems persist. I have vaginal moisturiser and also some cream for the lichen sclerosis and have now started with bladder problems. I am about to go back to the GP as I'm not sure which of the conditions is causing me to feel so uncomfortable.  It just feels like my prolapse is back. Was this all caused by the after effects of the breast cancer. Have you any advice you can give

• Oh boy sorry to hear about prolapse etc.  if you can see a urogynecologist who specializes in vaginal prolapse that would be a good thing.  One thing for sure estrogen is very important for our vaginal tissues and after my surgery for prolapse when I was 55 I was started on vaginal estrogen.  I then started on HRT but still kept up with the vaginal estrogen for awhile but then stopped after my blood levels of hormones were good.  I am 75 now and prolapse is not a problem although I am on anastrazole for almost 2 1/2 years.  My next visit to medical oncologist I am going to ask about vaginal estrogen cream as I don’t want another prolapse.  I had a sacrospinous ligament fixation done when I was 55 and the surgeon was fabulous.  He told me that if you have one organ prolapsing more than likely you have others like rectocele etc.  

There is an excellent dermatologist on YouTube called Dr Dray and she has talked about lichen sclerosis and treatments etc.  I know she could give you excellent advice.  Take care and hope you feel better because prolapse is a real pain. 

Barbara 

• Thanks for the advice which I will follow up. I was told I cannot have vaginal estrogen due to my breast cancer being estrogen positive though

• Me too but I am asking again and I am sure the answer will be no.  Doesn’t seem to be any issue with vaginal estrogen if you take tamoxifen but there was one article (attached)that said an increase with the AI’s and vaginal estrogen.  It makes me nervous to even think about a recurrence so that is why I have been using other non hormonal vaginal suppositories and not too bad .  
    https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9552211/&sa=U&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwjgj8L_i76IAxV_STABHcy6EZAQFnoECCIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw10CJo1Ijdf7_8aBpbt8czR

This article is excellent and the study was well done so guess even though I want to take estrogen vaginally I won’t get the OK.  

Barbara