Chemotherapy after mastectomy

• 3 replies
  • 266 subscribers

Hi.  I've recently had surgery to remove a second breast after 18 years being cancer free. Also auxiliary lymph nodes clearance. I'm currently having 6 rounds of chemotherapy and having a rough time after the first time.  What I'm confused is the doctors are telling me that they have taken all the cancer cells and there is no more.  The chemotherapy is to kill any cancer cells left.  If there is no more, then why are they doing chemotherapy?  I really want to stop. 

• Hi, sorry to hear you are having a rough time at the moment. I had 12 rounds of chemotherapy after having a major surgery for PMP.  They said they got all the cancer, but I was to have chemotherapy as a preventative, such an awful time. I have nerve damage at the moment, trouble walking, as feels like numbness in my feet and bottom half of my legs. Trouble with my fingers also, even worse when it’s cold, dreading the weather changing. 
    How many more you got to have? 

• Hi.  I have another 4 rounds to go and then have to have 3 weeks of radiotherapy. It still doesn't make sense.  

• Hi

Sorry you are having a tough time. My oncologist told me that they cannot see every cancer cell that might be lingering, so, having chemo is basically to kill off any that may be lingering. A belt and braces approach if that makes sense.