Elle MacPherson

• 5 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Newspapers today are full of stories of Elle MacPherson being in remission despite declining chemo, radiotherapy, mastectomy and hormone blockers. Apparently spent 8 months treating herself with alternate therapies 7 years ago. I find this reporting deeply disturbing as people will be filling oncologists’ offices thinking they can just cure themselves this way. Of course deep in the articles it’s obvious she had DCIS not invasive breast cancer, and that she did have a lumpectomy. Basically, she got lucky. 

The fact she was at the time in a relationship with Andrew Wakefield, the doctor who was eventually struck off over his dangerous views on the MMR vaccine, perhaps says it all. 

• HI CodFish welocome to the forum. I agree with you, these types of stories do nothing to help anyone and lull people into false sense of security. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hello,  have not seen the article but I totally agree with you about it being dangerous.  DCIS is stage 0 and there are low, medium snd high grades and she may have had a small area etc etc etc.  

There are trials going on now for DCIS so that may give us more answers.  
    interesting they never mentioned that with DCIS you are more prone to get in other breast and also invasive too.  
    I hope she does well and at least she did lumpectomy.  The story does not give all the details.  

Barbara 

• Hi  

I am not new, sadly, been here 2 and a half years. Metastatic TNBC, unfortunately, so don’t often post in this particular forum.

• I couldn’t agree more. The way this story has been presented is totally irresponsible and has me much more angry than I should be about it, it’s really hit a nerve. 

• She’s on the hard sell for her wellness products. Absolutely outrageous that the papers are indulging her. Liz O’roidan on times radio this morning debunking her nonsense. Basically don’t take your medical advice from a super model. Take your bikini advice from her by all means though!!!!