Anastrozole

• 7 replies
  • 266 subscribers

Hi

After discussing options with my oncologist, Tamoxifen vs Anastrozole, I started taking anastrozole in June 2023. By May of this year the side effects were so bad I was advised to take a two month break from the tablets, to see if my symptoms improved. Hey presto, they all disappeared and I felt like me again. Last week, the oncologist told my GP to prescribe Tamoxifen. I previously told the oncologist that I will not take Tamoxifen due to the possibility of it causing endometrial cancer. I have been back on the Anastrozole for a week and can feel all the old symptoms coming back. I really cannot take it any longer. My question is, has anyone taken, or have knowledge of an alternative to these two drugs?

I have spoken to my GP who is contacting the oncologist for further advice, but it can take a while. I thought I'd ask you lovely people, who have experience of taking the medication, for help.

Many thanks 

TJW

• Hi there are 2 other aromatase inhibitors letrozole and exemestane. They have the same main aim to get rid of your oestrogen

• Sorry sent before finished. I switched from letrozole to exemestane not brilliant but at least some improvement. 

As you will see from other posts lots of us suffer from debilitating side affects my main ones are increased to arthritis and weight gain.

Good luck hope you get sorted x

• Thank you for taking time to reply. It's not the pain that bothers me so much. It's the tiredness, lack of energy, and depression. I can't keep a handle on my emotions, literally crying all the time for no apparent reason. I feel sorry for my poor husband having to deal with it. He asks what is wrong and I have literally no idea. At least now I know there are other options available. Thank you so much for giving me a bit of hope x

• Hi, have you tried different brands ? I’ve only tried 2 but the 2nd one was grim . I can manage on Amarox, which the onco asked the GP to prescribe  . I saw a study that said letrozole reduced oestrogen the most ( by a very small %). I think whichever you are prescribed depends on what your onco prefers . I wouldn’t consider tanoxifen because of the possible endometrial side effects , if you are post menopausal.

Good luck x 

• I was advised to take my letrozol when I went to bed to help with the tiredness which it did, you could try that? 

I was already on a small dose of anti depressants which help too so consider them as part of your treatment.

Drink loads of water and try to do some exercise.... I've increased my water intake but find it hard to exercise with muscle & joint pain so I'm going to give pool walking a go. 

Anything that helps.... Even a little bit eh? Sending hugs xx

• No just the one brand so far. I think I need a discussion with my oncologist. The GP, by his own admission, doesn't know anything about it. Thank you for your input xx

• Hi Thanks for your reply. I do drink lots of water and no caffeinated drinks at all, not even tea or coffee. I also walk every day to try and stay fit and avoid the dreaded osteoporosis. Although it can be a struggle when I'm so tired and lacking in energy due to the anastrozole. I'm sure I'll get sorted and am grateful for the help and advice I receive from this forum xx