Binders and Bras

• 8 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hi all. I am just looking for some advice on wearing the binder after the surgery. I had my first on on 3rd July and was told to wear a sort bra and the binder yesterday I had to have a second op as needed more margins and was told afterwards to just wear the binder for up to 14 days but no bra underneath , I am confuse and wondered if anyone on here can help. Also having trouble finding a good bra to wear any suggestions of the best place to buy . I did go to Marks and Spencer but was not very impressed with the service.  I live in North East Scotland. Thanks for any help xxx

• Hi, sorry I can't help you on the binders question, but I must admit I found the M&S bras to be the best option for me.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Thank you for your reply . I will give M & S another try I just found the staff not very helpful.  Best wishes to you x

• Hello, I bought mine on Amazon and loved it. 6 months after surgery still used those bras as find them very comfortable. I did not get back to regular bras.

• Hi

I had to wear a binder for 48 hours after surgery so not as long as you have been told. It was just the binder not a bra.

I had no idea what a binder was so had to google it ! 

I have a big chest so thought it would be really uncomfortable but found it was ok. I wore it day and night just taking it off to shower which I was allowed to do but being careful and just patting dry. Binder then went back on.

I then went onto wearing a sports style bra which I got from M and S but also ordered one on line from Cancer Research Uk. I swap between the two.

I don't bother asking staff especially at M and S and just bought normal size but guessed at size for the other bra (think it might be small medium large idea) You might need slightly larger size if swollen which I was but 3 weeks post op, the swelling is slowly decreasing.  

Take care x

• Thanks for the reply.  I will try with the binder for as long as u can and have a couple of sports bras and also one I brought from Cancer research so will give them a try. All the best to you x

• Asda online have post opp bras £16 for two my breast nurse told me about them.  They are very comfortable with front fasteners I have now purchased more and wear the all time unless wearing lower top. They have pockets for prosthetics.   Hope this is helpful 

• Skylark, thank you for your reply will have a look at them xx

• Yes I had the Asda ones too and was very happy with them ,although I did find they come up small so I ended up with the 2xl where I would have expected the xl to be big enough.They do a set of 2 with zip front and lace decoration but they came up even smaller and were really uncomfortable