Zometa treatment

• 4 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hello lovely ladies, I am looking for some opinions regarding Zometa treatment. I like the idea of protecting bones density,  yet the volume of side effects especially osteonecrosis puts me off. I seriously consider refusing this treatment if my bone density scan results will  be ok. Any thoughts?

• Hi  

I have Zometa by infusion every 6 months and have had 4 doses so far with no side effects. I was also worried about osteonecrosis but was told that it was very rare. In the end I decided that the rewards of having Zometa, ie protecting bone density and preventing the cancer spreading to the bones, for me outweighed the risks.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, I've had 4 of 6 zoldronic acid infusuons. I too was concerned about my teeth. I had a chat with my dentist and he has reviewed me every 6 months, & gives me the OK before I have the infusions. 

I did have some side effects with the first but nothing since.

I had dexa scan when I started taking anastrazol and my bone density was normal, 2 years on, my 2nd scan showed low density. I dread to think what the position would be if I hadn't had the infusions. My oncologist is monitoring this closely. I am also taking high dose vit d & calcium.

We have to make our own decisions but it's worth considering in my opinion 

Best wishes x

• Thanks a lot, I appreciate the response. The cancer treatment is so harsh that I worry about how much my body can take. But your opinion is very helpful. Thank you

• Thanks a lot. Appreciate your comments Pray