Zoledronic Acid infusions

• 4 replies
  • 267 subscribers

As part of my chemotherapy treatment I have been having Zoledronic acid infusions every 6 months.  I have now had 5 infusions and one remaining at the end of December.  One of the side effects for me is pain in my bone, joint and muscles. I have spoken to my BCN who seems surprised.  Her view is that I may feel unwell for the first couple of days and then all should be OK.  She also suggested that my pain could be imaginary. Meaning that the pain is part of my memory store.

My question is has anyone else had these symptoms during their treatment?  My breast cancer was TNBC stage 1 grade 3. 

I believe I have been doing well since my diagnosis and these symptoms may be something that I will have to learn to live with. I appreciate that one can not go back to where one was.

I find the on line community so helpful.  Any ideas would be gratefully received

• Hi Ricki 

I have had the same problem with bone and muscle pains and I have only had one infusion !! I also had the same cancer as you TN stage 1 grade 3 .I have another infusion next Friday mine are every 3 mths . I also struggle with the Adcal tablets they are vile I can’t stand chewing them !!! My joints are so painful at times . I’m hoping it will get better over time . Take care all the best x

• Hi, I have occasional aches and pains in my joints but I must admit I put this down to side effects of letrozole rather than the zoledronic acid. I hope you find out what is causing this for you soon, best wishes

Community Champion badge

• Thank you for your reply.  As I have TNBC I am not taking letrozole or any other medication other than Adcal and the zoledronic acid infusion.  Hence the problem does nor come from that source. 

Best Wishes

ricki
  • Hi I also am on Adcal tablets.  However I take them with water. Much easier.

All the best

ricki