Filgrastim injection side effects

• 1 reply
  • 265 subscribers

Anyone else have a severe reaction to filgrastim injection? Abdominal pain, vaginal bleeding? It's actually crazy how long the list of side effecsts is for this injection!!

Had my first cycle of AC chemotherapy on 31/5/24, felt a bit spaced out after but fine. 40 mins after taking my first of 7 daily Filgrastim injections I was in crippling abdomonal pain. (like contractions but continous) The pain was right from my pubic bone to back passage, and so intense I went hot and cold sweat and then white as a sheet. Initially I was hesitant to ask for help because it would be embarassing to call the ambulance out for wind/diarrhoea. But the pain made me so feint I had to lie in the bath because it was the only place I could think to to elevate my legs, whilst not worrying about whether I was going to soil myself. A sight to behold I'm sure; My partner must really love me. Needless to say he did ring the ambulance. "Because you didn't make that much fuss when you were in actual labour!"

By the time they arrived I'd managed to make it back to bed, but was so lightheaded and dizzy I wasnt making much sense. They said my bp was low, and I was mildly tachycardic. So I spent 3 days in an A&E corridor before being discharged. 

They gave me fluids, pain relief, and antibiotics to be safe. They also did my bloods and on arrival my neutrophil count was 24 when they discharged me today it was down to 9. With my count being so high the a&e Dr's said I didn't need it. I havent had to take the injection the last few days. The oncology team at Christie's will look at all the info tomorrow, but I'm really anxious about taking it again.

I have also had vaginal bleeding whilst in hospital, which I know is on the long list of side effects. I wonder if this was the pain I was experiencing. I did feel like I was in labour.

Please tell me it gets better with every dose not worse. 

• Hi, I certainly didn't have a reaction as bad as  yours, but I was flagged as being possibly allergic to Filigrastim. I was, as I recall, admitted for a couple of nights to hospital but it was pre-covid so they were more able to er on the side of caution. I can't remember too many details but I would have had a temperature and possibly a rash/swelling. Sorry can't be more precise but I am writing because I was given an alternative injection. The district nurse would come and mix two ingredients and then inject me. As I recall they were fairly adamant about not taking a chance that I might have a worse reaction and insisted on the change all they said it could have been down to something else. 

Ask for an alternative and for the District Nurse to administer them.

You are having a rough time and I hope you get sorted out soon. It is awful that you were in a corridor, I had a room to myself because as cancer patients we are supposed to be away from possible infection. ask why you were left in a corridor IT IS NOT RIGHT. I found chemo up and down but certainly do able. Lovely staff around and I was lucky to have good family support. Good luck and I am thinking of you xxx