Oncotype DX

• 10 replies
  • 262 subscribers

Hi all

I was hoping to gain some information/guidance if possible.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 21 February 2024. I had a partial mastectomy ( I had more than one lump) on 22 March 2024.

Following surgery my consultant confirmed last week my cancer had not spread, my lymph were clear and the margins were clear so no further surgery needed. The biggest tumour was 3cm and grade 2. I am strongly ER/PR positive and HER2 negative +1 

My consultant also confirmed that they were awaiting the result of the oncotype test and therefore we could not discuss my treatment plan. My result has now been received and upon pressing the poor Breast care nurse for information she confirmed I have a score of 25. I am aware that this is the borderline for chemotherapy as the definitive score for requiring chemotherapy is 26 or above. 

I am 47 years old and premenopausal. Does anyone have any experience of whether chemotherapy is likely? My first appointment with the oncologist is not until 30 May.

Thank you in advance. 

• I was 46 years and premenopausal when I was diagnosed with ER PR positive HER2 negative breast cancer.  My cancer was grade 3 -27mm and no lymph node involvement. My oncotype came back at 24 and my Oncologist told me I required preventative chemotherapy.  I had 3 x EC and 3 x docetaxal followed by 5 sessions of radiotherapy. I am now on anastrazole and zoldadex injections and soon to start Bisphonates (delayed due to having a wisdom tooth out).

•   

Thank you for your response. Are you based in uk? 
    it’s the waiting that is the hardest!!! Cry

• Yes...I'm based in the Midlands.  The waiting is the hardest and to be fair does not get any easier.  

•  Thank you l A fellow midlands girl! 

• Hi Jojo76. I had a lumpectomy a year ago. Grade 2, stage 2, also ER/PR positive and HER2 negative. Tumour 24 mm. 2 lymph nodes removed. 

My Oncotype DX score was 27 - higher than expected. I was 58. My oncologist said that because I was post menopausal, chemotherapy was not recommended. 

Since you are premenopausal, your oncologist might recommend chemotherapy. But you are also borderline, so ... 

Before I knew my score, I asked my oncologist what would happen if my result was borderline. She said that was up to me. It depends on individual people's assessment of risk and benefit. She has had patients with borderline results who say "I want to have every treatment I can, so that I know I've given myself the best possible chance to get rid of this cancer."  Other patients have said something like "If there's no clear benefit of having chemotherapy, I don't want to have all those poisons in my body." 

I don't know if that's helpful. I hope it is. There is so much uncertainty, and the waiting is hard. Thinking of you. 

• Hi

I'm similar... But currently waiting for the outcome of the Oncotype DX test as my op confirmed 29mm - grade 3 - clear nodes - Er/PR + - HER -. My ki67 was between 35-40%.

I've had my surgery & luckily they got it all with good margins & clear nodes first time round. Plus the scaring doesn't appear that bad. And I have the been told I'll definitely have to have radiotherapy & hormone treatment. 

I've not seen the oncologist yet but I've also put all the data through the predict tool on the NHS website. And it would appear chemo moves the life expectancy a few %. 

I know I need to wait to get the results & listen to the experts but it's awful waiting. I'm a planner - I need a plan!

Plus it's not just me I'm worrying about - I have a 10yo & 9yo too. 

I know noone can really help at the moment. I just need to wait. But just wanted to put it out there so you know you're not alone in your worrying.. xx 

• Hi

I'm similar... But currently waiting for the outcome of the Oncotype DX test as my op confirmed 29mm - grade 3 - clear nodes - Er/PR + - HER -. My ki67 was between 35-40%.

I've had my surgery & luckily they got it all with good margins & clear nodes first time round. Plus the scaring doesn't appear that bad. And I have the been told I'll definitely have to have radiotherapy & hormone treatment. 

I've not seen the oncologist yet but I've also put all the data through the predict tool on the NHS website. And it would appear chemo moves the life expectancy a few %. 

I know I need to wait to get the results & listen to the experts but it's awful waiting. I'm a planner - I need a plan!

Plus it's not just me I'm worrying about - I have a 10yo & 9yo too. 

I know noone can really help at the moment. I just need to wait. But just wanted to put it out there so you know you're not alone in your worrying.. xx 

• Thank you  
    I managed to get a cancellation for yesterday and so I finally have a treatment plan.  I have been told I need chemotherapy. 6 sessions, 3 of which are EC. Not what I wanted to hear but I promised myself at the beginning of this “journey” that I would follow the advice given to me by the consultants. 
    Hopefully it will mean I stay free from cancer for the rest of my days x

thank you for your kind response.

•   

I must admit I didn’t wait until I met with the oncologist to find out my score. I called the oncology department and pressed the poor breast care nurse to tell me my results. 

I am a planner too and a researcher so knowing my score gave me a few days to look into it. 

the results took so long - how long ago did you have surgery? 

• Dear Jojo76, I'm glad you have a treatment plan. It is tough, but I think we have to trust our medical care teams. Everyone I saw was very caring and understanding. Wishing you all the best xxx