Bra implants

• 6 replies
  • 251 subscribers

Hi

How soon after masectomy ( not having reconstructive surgery ) can you wear the bra silicone implants ? And do the hospital supply them and can you wear your normal bras, thank you 

• Hi I had a double mastectomy and went flat nearly 4 years ago. I was given softie prosthesis quickly following surgery. I was then measured and provided with given 2 silicone prostheses and a bra with appropriate pockets. I waited until my scar was well-healed before booking my fitting appointment etc but that was my choice and I gained the impression it could have been as quick as I was comfortable with. I was also told if I wanted a replacement prosthesis I only had to ask. Everyone was really nice and supportive. To be honest I don't bother wearing the bra much preferring to wear a silk scarf draped over my chest. The one time I do wear prostheses is when I have a swimming costume on. I had to buy these and get them from Amoena , they are I think expensive. I have also used knitted knockers which have the advantage of being very light and can fit in an ordinary bra  https://www.knittedknockers.org/ Knitted knockers are provided free from a charity. Good Luck x

• Hi 

Thank you very much for above links etc , I'll have a good luck at them. I just don't want to look 'lopsided ' pity it's not winter so can wear baggy jumpers !! 

I'm sure I'll adapt its just the waiting that's the worse part x 

Appreciate your comments,  take care 

• I had single mastectomy. Like Rosalia I was given a softie in hospital and told to contact them after 6 weeks for a silicone one which they said will be replaced feee every 2 years. I waited longer, probably 3-4 months , as I wasn’t ready to wear anything heavier than the softie. I was also given a bra with pockets from the hospital but it was too small in the back and non adjustable straps so I bought a few sports type bras with adjustable straps. ( I have a long back!). You van wear normal bras but I find the ones with pockets best as it holds the prosthesis in place very well. M&S do some nice ones at reasonable prices and VAT free. Hope this helps. X

• Hi thanks for this, it does help x 've got a post op bra from M&S , they are comfy !!! I'm just worried about going out etc without anything as I don't want everyone to know or notice  Thinkingbut i'm  maybe being naive x
  • I know what you mean. I live in Scotland so baggy jumpers work pretty much all year round for me ! Except today!

I have bought a few sleeveless loose thicker material tops for summer. Also bought patterned dresses so less noticeable if a little lopsided. But I don’t think anyone other than ourselves actually notice - it’s simple because we know. Sports bras with the softie works well - provides compression and support. It used to hurt under my arm where the did he SLNB so I’d stick a soft sock in there which seemed to work well. All the best. X

• Yes i wish it was winter !!! Lol x patterned clothes are a great Idea !! My friend is making me one of these knitted knockers another lady posted on here .wishing you all the best too