Sore after Radiotherapy

• 14 replies
  • 253 subscribers

So, I finished radiotherapy Tuesday last week. My nipple was already fairly sore and itchy but it has now become sore and cracked with some fluids coming out. 

I was advised to wear a tighter bra and given foam dressings to prevent friction which did help but it has now got to the point where it's very painful.

Also getting cold doesn't help, as soon as I'm cold my nipple gets erect and it's so painful.

Anyone else experienced this? I've stopped using moisturiser as directed and trying to give air to the area as much as I can but I just wondered how long this is meant to last? All other areas whilst itchy and tender aren't painful generally, just the nipple. 

• Hi Topaz81 and welcome to the forum.  It may be that this is the area which has  been affected mostly by the Radiotherapy and it will heal but will take time. As each of us are different and heal at different times this makes  it difficult to be too specific re time-frames. Have you seen the Practice nurse at your Gp surgery re this or who is it that you are seeing that has given you the dressings etc. Somebody needs to have a look at this for you and specific cream may be required which only Practices can prescribe. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• It was the radiotherapy team that gave me dressings and cream. 

My GP practice are unfortunately pretty clueless and getting to see someone is akin to winning the lottery.

I'll ring the breast care nurses at the hospital on Tuesday. Unfortunately with it being a bank holiday, everything is shut until then.

I do believe the last 5 days of 'boost' went into the breast via the nipple area and that's probably why it has responded in this way. 

• Hello, so sorry that you are experiencing pain after radiotherapy. I had a similar experience recently, the skin in my armpit broke down and most of my skin on the breast changed colour and my nipple and area around it was also tender. And as you say, these complications tend to pop up on a weekend when the right people are not available. For me it was a Friday late afternoon when I noticed pus around the nipple. I called 111(calling the GP would have been pointless) and after assessing me I was referred to the urgent care centre. I had a video appointment with a doctor later that evening who prescribed me a topical antibiotic, which I was reluctant to use initially but I did  use it in the end. Luckily when I called the breast team on the Monday they gave me an appointment that morning. I was seen by a nurse and the surgeon who performed the surgery( she just happened to be in the corridors and didn’t  mind popping in for a consult). They agreed that the antibiotic was the right treatment. She gave the area a good clean and plenty of reassurance. Time frame wise this whole situation seemed like eternity but really it was around 2 weeks before things settled. Just remember though that every one is different. It’s a long weekend and it might be worth considering to make a call to the 111 service who would be able to give clinical advice to tie you to Tuesday. Best wishes 

• Hi  , sorry you’re having this horrible issue. My nipple seemed to be worst affected by radiotherapy too. Like yours, it was already sore after the op - I think in my case this was from the blue dye injection which was done whilst I was under anaesthetic so I’d no idea that it was done into the nipple. My lump was nowhere near so it wasn’t to do with the incision itself. I had 3 weeks of rads as was common then (5 years ago), and my nipple got more and more painful. I had a review partway through with a consultant radiologist who gave me some dressings to put inside my crop top (had given up on bras at that point as too painful! But wanted some support). The dressings sort of helped but then started sticking to it or to the skin, which wasn’t good! The radiologist did say that for any problems post rads, it would be better to get back in contact with the radiology team rather than GP/ practice nurse as they would likely have no experience with what are really radiation burns, I guess. So if possible, I’d definitely try to be seen by the radiology folk or breast clinic. But in the meantime, given it’s a Bank Holiday weekend, I agree that 111 should be an option if you’re thinking it could be infected. As others have said, you may need antibiotics in some form. Mine wasn’t weepy as such. But it went pretty much black, horrible! After many weeks post rads, while I was still moisturising, a huge scab fell off the end ( sorry for TMI). Weirdly it felt a lot better once that had happened, and slowly resolved. It’s been left a different colour and a bit inverted. But not painful, just a bit more sensitive. 
    Sorry for long ramble, but I do feel your pain. Sending love and a big but very gentle virtual hug, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Hi 

I finished radiotherapy 2 weeks ago now, I am still feeling very sore, but under my arm it is now really sore and it hurts to lift my arm, it looks a bit pushy. I think I will contact the breast cancer clinic tomorrow and see if they can have a look for me . Just hope I will be able to be see tomorrow.

i am so sooooo you have had a bad time of it too.

take care big hugs  too hope to talk soon. 

• Hi Kazi,

I considered myself lucky before this as I've never felt ill or unwell in any way. Even after the surgery I had no pain and healed well within aThinking few weeks.

This is honestly one of the worst things that I've ever gone through. Every time I move it sends throbbing pain through my whole breast.

I contacted out of hours, despite me telling them exactly what I'd had done and why, the doctor (who it turns out is a GP from my surgery) insisted on taking a swab of the area, said it was red and hot to the touch (in the not infected area) and then said I'd have to wait for swab results to get any medication.

She also asked me twice if I was breastfeeding which could have caused this injury. Ironically I'd also spoken to her on the phone and told her that I had just finished radiotherapy. 

I've up to now had great care with all of this so it was quite disheartening to be so dismissed by a doctor. 

I'm going to contact the breast care clinic tomorrow morning.

I hope you improve too xx

• Hi Topaz81 I am so very sorry to hear of your experience and understand completely why you are feeling as you do. She sounds like she wasn't fully listening to you and that's not OK.. I think calling the breast clinic tomorrow is a great idea and I certainly hope that you get some answers and some relief. I've obviously Been lucky at my gp surgery as we have advanced nurse practitioners and I saw one of these people and not a gp. Please let us know how you get on. Does the soft bra give you some support and can you wear this in bed if you aren't already ? 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• I've been and bought a soft but supportive bra today, was also given a saline wash thing for relief, some dressings and some strong painkillers to help with sleeping. 

It's definitely infected but I'm feeling better now it's a little more secure with the dressing and not moving about or rubbing on anything.

Spoke to GP today too and they've been good.

• Glad you’re getting some relief and that the GP response has been good. Did you manage to contact the radiology team or breast clinic? Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • I got through to radiology and sent an email of pictures. They arranged for me to collect stuff from the local hospital as they're an hour away from me.

Really helpful they were but I've never had a bad experience with the cancer teams xx