The wait for radiotherapy

• 16 replies
  • 250 subscribers

How long is everyone waiting for radiotherapy? I live in Leicestershire and have been waiting now since my lumpectomy in November and I'm still nowhere near getting radiotherapy. Apparently the waiting list is horrendous and I've been told that the whole country is the same. I know mine is only preventative radiotherapy but it's over 5 months since my op. How long is everyone else waiting???

• Hi Tash I waited roughly ten weeks post mastectomy for my radiotherapy. I’m in Scotland and attend the Edinburgh Cancer Centre. Not sure about the rest of the country. 
    Take care

Jen. 

• I'm now over 20 weeks with no date in sight!

• Hi, I finished chemo end of July and had radiotherapy end of August at St James’s Leeds. My lumpectomy and node clearance were in February last year. 

• I can confirm it is not countrywide. I had my lumpectomy the beginning of March and start radiotherapy this Thursday, I am in Hampshire. Sorry you are waiting so long.

• I waited 3 months. Also had my surgery this November in London. Please call them and bug them because at on point they literally forgot to schedule my surgery for three months. Just make sure the ARE SCHEDULING you as soon as possible. I also had to file a complaint to get things to move along. Don’t be afraid to poke them, don’t be afraid to let them know in writing that such delays are causing you undue stress on top of what you’re already dealing with.

I don’t think you need to worry and it’s preventative so no harm done, but bug them till they schedule you so you can get that out of the way.

All the best Heart️

• Hi I was diagnosed January had lumpectomy 7th Feb and started radiotherapy treatments 11th April in Newcastle uponTyne. 

• I finally got a letter this morning (how ironic) with a date for my planning CT scan.

• That’s good, you’ll be relieved after all that waiting. 

• That’s great! Take care Grin

• Hi Tash I'm Leicestershire too probs same hospitals,  I had my surgery , lumpectomy and and SNB on the 18th March, results- all good, on 22nd April and appointment through for radiotherapy yesterday for 13th May. I was told it would probs be a 6 week wait so that's actually a lot quicker than I expected.

As an extra did you get any info with the letter, all it says is an appointment with the Oncologist? Any other clinics I've attended have included info on what to expect at the sppointment and how long to expect to be there, I've no idea with this one, I'm assuming planning, whatever that entails.