Radiation rash.

• 10 replies
  • 248 subscribers

I finished radiotherapy 2 months ago. 2 weeks later I had an infected burn on my nipple. I had ABs & dressings. Then I developed a raised, itchy rash between my breasts & under my rested breast. It is driving me nuts. My surgeon recommended antihistamine. I used Clarityn, then Loratadine along with various creams.  Nothing has helped. I’m now taking Piriton but still very itchy. What has helped others? I’ve used Eurax, hydrocortisone, E45 itch relief, calamine, aloe Vera. , ice packs. 

• Hi  

I too had an itchy rash but it cleared up with a combination of hydrocortisone cream prescribed by the radiotherapy nurse and antihistamine tablets bought over the counter.

I hope yours clears up soon.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello, so sorry about all the side effects you’re having from radiotherapy. I have had similar experience, very bad sunburn on breast and armpit. My skin broke down, and I also had nipple infection and ended up being given a topical antibiotic. Things seem to be settling down for me now and if they hadn’t I would have called the breast team again and ask to be seen. I used aloe Vera gel and aveeno but now that things have settled I’ve gone back to using coconut oil. Perhaps you should consider going back to them if things are not improving? Best wishes.

• I am on the verge of doing that Ruva. Aloe Vera hasn’t helped unfortunately. 

• I just had a lightbulb moment, I found a tub of Sudacrem in my bathroom. If it’s good enough for nappy rash, it might just work. 

• Hi

Try DERMOL 500 from the pharmacist.

Just apply and leave it . Comes in a huge dispenser. 

Cost around £10        x

• Can you see a dermatologist?  Could be something else as sometimes rashes look pretty similar.  Itching and scratching is awful and the more you scratch the more you itch!!  Stay away from anything with fragrance too.

Barbara 

• Up to now I’ve had a good response to Sudacrem. I think sometimes the old remedies are forgotten about. I’ve stopped the Piriton now but I’ll continue the Sudacrem. I’m not using any cleansing products on the radiated area, just water & a muslin cloth. 

• Your GP can prescribe stronger steroid creams than hydrocortisone. That might help. Or a topical local anaesthetic cream, like Emla.

Best wishes Sunflower

• The dermal 500 is a lotion that substitutes as a soap free soap.

It will be all you need . GP Can prescribe 

Good luck x