Weekly Paclitaxel

• 15 replies
  • 251 subscribers

Hi I have been diagnosed with ER-/PR-/HER2+ breast cancer in March. I am having a lumpectomy next week and will know about chemo regimes once the pathological results are back from the surgery.

I am not keen on EC chemotherapy so I am hoping to hear experiences from people with similar diagnosis as mine that have have been given weekly Paclitaxel, I know this is the standard of care in America and in other countries but seems they always want to give you EC here "just in case". 

If you have been prescribed Weekly Pax please let me know and where in the country you are!

Many thanks!!!

Maria

• Hi 

I had 3 EC which I wasn’t to good but just felt tied for a few days l then had 9 weekly paclitaxel it wasn’t to bad it was easier than the EC I didn’t have hardly any side effects at all but l did find  I was getting tied towards the end and by the last two I was worn out but honestly it is doable.xx

• I have TNBC and was scheduled to have 12 weeks x Pacitaxil with Carboplatin followed by 4 cycles of EC. The pacitaxil was halted at 8 weeks due to the side effects of peripheral-neuropathy. I still have limited mobility now and it was stopped mid November. 

• Hi

My treatment plan for her2 + breast cancer is

Paclitaxel weekly for 12 weeks,

Trastuzumab ( Herceptin)  once every 3 weeks for a minimum of 9 and a maximum of 18 treatments

Bisophonates once every six months for 7 treatments once chemo is finished.

I've had 3 sessions of chemo so far and  touch wood  have only had  minor side effects, red face on the day following treatment and a sore throat on a couple of days. 

I will also be having radiotherapy once chemo is finished but as yet haven't been told how many sessions

I live in the North West of England

Good luck with it all xx

• Hi thanks so much for your reply and so pleased to hear you are doing well with the treatment. May I ask you what hospital trust you are with? Thanks! Maria

• East Lancashire 

xx

• I have/had her2+ E+ IDC 16mm grade 3 with no lymph node involvement.

I’m on weekly paclitaxel. I’ve had 10/12 treatments. I had my lumpectomy first, then chemo 8 weeks later. I have herceptin for a year. I’ll be on tamoxifen for 10 years. I’ll start radiotherapy about 3 weeks after the end of chemo.

At first, I was worried that I wasn’t going to get EC but I’ve got my head around it now and I’m glad my oncologist and I made the decisions that we have.

If there’s anything you’d like to know then just ask. 

• Hi Ronnie thanks so much for sharing! Yes I am hoping to get the same treatment (I’ve only just had my lumpectomy so awaiting results) May I ask where in the country you are and what hospital trust are you under? Not sure all trusts offer the weekly treatment. 
    wishing you all the best!! X

• Hi  I am on the same regime as  , I am waiting to start 3 cycles of EC then 9 Paclitaxel alongside a year of 3-weekly Herceptin injections (my cancer was ER/PR- but HER2+). This is my second time around - I had breast cancer exactly 10 years ago (at 50) but that was ER+ so i had FEC-T which was not nice at all, so I'm kind of dreading going into that train tunnel again.

I'm in the Midlands (Derby Royal Hospital) - they have been super supportive both times.

I wish you all the best for the next few months and beyond - this is my first post and I'm sure I'll find this forum invaluable.

• I am sorry to hear you are having to go though this for a second time. I do hope treatment will be kinder to you this time. I wish you all the best with your treatment, you beat this once you will beat it again!

• I’m coming to the end of my 12 weekly Paclitaxel and carboplatin (moving over to EC next). I’ve not had any issues with Paclitaxel apart from rashes. My face gets the Paclitaxel mask for a day or two. My right hand started with a rash, it is red but not sore or uncomfortable. Then last week (after chemo 10) the rash started on my left hand. I spoke to my oncologist and the nurses and was given Eucerin cream which helps massively. I’ve not had any sickness at all. I get a bit tired mid week but I can cope with that.