Tamoxifen

• 2 replies
  • 245 subscribers

Hi all. I started taking Tamoxifen only a week ago and the plan is to take them for 5 years. I am also waiting for appointments to see clinical oncologist, to have CT scan and to eventually start radiotherapy. Since taking the Tamoxifen, I have had the most awful non stop headache for the past 5-6 days which wakes me up and it has been awful trying to do my job with it. Can I ask, has anyone else had this? I didn't expect side effects to start so quickly but surely this can't be a coincidence?? Many thanks

• Hello, I am so sorry that you are having headaches since starting Tamoxifen. I have been on it for 2 months now and I do remember getting headaches almost immediately but these quickly settled. I also have hot flushes . I found that taking it at night works better for me. A lot of people seem to say they react differently to different brands and with time you may be able to identify a brand that works best for you. I wonder whether it might also be worth mentioning this to your breast care team as well. Best wishes.

• Thank you for your reply. It's good to hear it isn't just me! The headaches have been quite worrisome. Hopefully they will settle down quickly as yours did. It has taken me by surprise at how quickly things have occurred! I am also taking it late evening in the hope that other side effects (as and when they happen) don't hinder me when I'm at work. Onwardsand upwards! Best wishes x