Hospital bag

• 3 replies
  • 248 subscribers

Any suggestions on what to pack for mastectomy and lymph node removal surgery? 

• Hi RKD

I took dressing gown, sliders, front buttoning top, noise cancelling headphones, podcasts downloaded on phone, kindle, toiletries, earplugs,  eye mask, chocolate. I was basically prepared to stay in but was discharged the same day. I also bought a cheap shower drain bag off amazon but didn't need it as I've not got a drain in. I was expecting to be given a surgical bra but wasn't, so left the hospital without a bra. I'd ordered one from Macom that is really comfortable, the nurse told me I could wear any non wired bra that was comfortable around the wound, doesn't need to be surgical one but I feel my wound is secure in this.And take a small pillow if you are traveling home in a car so the deathbed is more comfortable. 

All the best. 

• Hi. I’d advise the same as Y15. I had the same op, and took dressing gown, slip on shoes, pyjamas (button up), small wash bag, book, charger and phone/headphoes/I pad. I didn’t bother with a bra as had a prevenor in place for 2 weeks and with the drains in place a bra wasn’t comfortable. When I got home, and was able to get dressed I stuck to leggings and joggers and zip up hoodies as far easier to put on. 
    A pillow is useful to sleep with. In the car I sat on the side that didn’t impact the masectomy so sat in the back and felt chauffeur driven! 
    good luck! 

• Hi   

As well as above I would add that i was given a heart shaped cushion for post surgery underarm use . It was invaluable when sitting at home or travelling in car ,

I received mine at the hospital from macmillan volunteers but they are available elsewhere . Google post surgery heart shape cushion .

I also purchased a V pillow ideal when in bed or support for back when sitting .

Ive completed my treatment in Jan 23 and am now nearing 5 yr anniversary in July  best wishes for your treatment 

One step at a time and ...Breathe !
    xoxox
    Margaret