Single mastectomy - struggling with remaining breast

• 7 replies
  • 270 subscribers

Hi, I had a single mastectomy for high grade DCIS last week. I’m happy to have had the surgery which went well and hopefully will complete my treatment, and I seem to be healing well - so I’m very fortunate.i can handle the scar on my left side.  But I’m really struggling with my remaining breast. I know it’s early days and I need to give myself time to get used to things, but I’m really wishing I’d asked for a double mastectomy- my remaining breast looks vast and wrong and monstrous to me now. Anyone been through something like this? 
any advice or suggestions of things to read very welcome 

thanks!

• I am in the same boat. I hope that feeling goes away.

Best wishes

• I’m due to have one this week and also wondering how I’ll feel. Im

planning on having reconstruction at some point so I’m hoping I’ll cope with how it looks. 

• Thx for replying, good to know I’m not the only one to feel this way. Sending you support and here’s hoping we start to feel more comfortable 

• Good luck with it all - I hope you have as easy a time as I’ve had with the actual surgery

• Hi, I had a double because of my very large breasts. I had to insist and in part was only successful because it was in covid times and this was the easiest. They would not give me reconstruction because of my weight and high BMI. They would have done a reduction on the other breast . I don't mind being flat but I am in my 70s, I was initially upset when reconstruction and reduction were refused but prefer being flat to having one huge breast and nothing the other side. Apart from anything else it would have affected posture and contributed to other aches and pains. Have a good think about what you want. Do some research and then go back. I had to involve my MP to get my operation. Good luck x

• Thanks for the info. It's very helpful to me.

Take care

• I had a single masectomy in Nov and am awaiting a breast reduction on right side as I'm a large busted lady so feel very lopsided at moment.Maybe you could ask for a breast reduction