All clear. How are you supposed to feel?

• 7 replies
  • 270 subscribers

I had my results yesterday following therapeutic mammaplasty for a 33.3mm tumor, estrogen positive, her2 negative. Ive got the all clear after being diagnosed in feb this year & need only radiotherapy & tamoxifen. 

Since I was diagnosed, everything has felt like a bad dream. Having cancer hadnt felt real & now im told im all clear! I know im lucky to not need chemo or further surgery and am thankful for that  im not sure how im supposed to feel right now. All my friends & family seem to be more emotional about it than i am.

Im still trying to get my head around the diagnosis & now im in the clear? Has anyone else felt the same? 

• Congratulations! Glad you’re clear! As for how you’re supposed to feel… still worried… lol. I know the docs say not to think about it and all but I think it’s natural to be worried for a while.

• Have you considered one of the “ moving on “ courses that Maggies or Breast Cancer Now and possibly MacMillan offer ? I’m going to book on after my radiotherapy ( 4 weeks off). 

• Hi Paula79,

Congratulations on your results, what a relief that is, and I understand what you mean.  Firstly everything has happened so fast (which is great) that it still hasn't had time to sink in.  I bet there are lots of people still coming to terms with the diagnosis by the time the cancer has been removed,  There is no real way of how you are 'supposed' to feel as we are all so different.

Last year I was diagnosed with womb cancer which was treated with surgery and radiotherapy.  The last thing I considered was another cancer, yet in February this year I was diagnosed with TNBC.  I am now 5 wks post WLE & SNB and had my results earlier this week.  Thankfully I had clear margins and no signs in the nodes so woohoo the cancer is goneRelaxed.   However I still have to have chemotherapy and radiotherapy, which takes the shine off the good news.

When family and friends have asked about my results they are so happy and excited, while I'm just thinking I have a long road ahead.  They must wonder why I'm not more excited.

One thing I can say is look forward to completing your radiotherapy.  It's a wonderful feeling when you get the chance to ring that bell.  When you get to say 'I beat it'.

Take care and continue healing.

Jules

• Hi there, I can empathise as I didn't feel that big emotional relief when I got my results from surgery, even though I thought I would. I think there's something about wanting to believe it but remaining fearful of the future so for me it was about not wanting to tempt fate, if you know what I mean.

We all feel very different about results, but there's no “right” reaction.  I hope know you can find ways of moving on and into your new normal.  The Macmillan team are ver supportive if you want to chat anything through you can call the on 0800 808 0000.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi I  totally agree with everyone- my margins were clear and hadn't spread to lymp nodes which was such a relief but I'm now having radiotherapy and feeling a bit worried about whether to ring the bell at the end as I still have the hormone therapy to start after that which is for 5 years so it doesn't really feel like it's over yet. Also haven't had a scan to check the rest of my body so I'm fearful there could be cancer elsewhere. Hopefully these feelings will pass. Sending best wishes xx

• I’ll be starting radiotherapy in May . My treatment has been really quick . I think I’ve already decided not to ring the bell . I’ve started Anastrazole,m for 5 years , want to get through that .

• I rang the bell about 4 or 5 times as I was so happy to be done with radiation.  For me personally it was a hard decision as I had to have it to both breasts so a milestone to finish and also did a happy dance all the way to my car.  Am on hormone blockers now and will be happy when done with them too.  Bern on anastrazole almost 2 years so about 3 more years.  
    I do understand how you feel and respect your not wanting to ring the bell.  

Barbara