Picc Line

• 4 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Hi, I am scheduled to have a picc line fitted next week as the first cycle of chemo damaged the veins in my hand and they struggled to find a good vein for my second cycle of chemo last week. I was wondering what hints & tips people had for living with a picc line. Thank you in advance x

• Hi  . I'm not from this group but had my own PICC line in for several months and never had a problem with it. Usually painless going in and takes about 20 minutes. You may then be sent for a quick x-ray to check it is positioned correctly. Most of the time it is taped up and the main thing is to remember nothing too strenuous. You cannot get it wet but you can buy waterproof covers. Some hospitals supply them. I just made do with wrapping it in clingfilm when bathing. You don't really need them but you can also buy fancy covers for other times to keep things tidy. I bought a roll of elastic bandage (tubigrip) and cut a fresh piece off every day to keep it clean. The benefit when it comes to treatment or blood tests, it does away with all the needles. Once you get used to it you tend to forget it's there. 

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thank you  for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. Good luck in your journey x

• The only issue I have had is the clear adhesive dressing they put over the picc can irritate the skin - plaster rash. It depends on which nurse re applies the dressing each week as to how comfortable it is and whether it stays in place. The picc is brilliant. I don’t miss the several attempts at finding a vein.

• Hi Vicman31

I agree with rily, having a PICC line does have its benefits for blood tests and chemo. No more struggling to find a vein! I too had one fitted for 6 months.

At first I was apprehensive but gradually you get used to it and forget it's even there in your arm!

Just keep it dry and clean. You can't have a bath or go swimming. But you can have a shower with a protective sleeve. 

And you do get a dressing when you go for treatments. They will clean and replace the dressing for you. 

Wishing you all the best. 

Hugging xxx