openwater swimming after mastectomy

• 2 replies
  • 265 subscribers

Was planning to have reconstruction from tummy flap but surgeon was horrified yesterday that I had plans to return to openwater swimming (and diving, snorkeling body boarding too) once healed. After wards I went for my potentially last swim before lymph removal on 11th April and this is the most upset I've been and first tears. I absolutely cannot trust myself to not swim in lakes or sea again.

My question is, is the risk of infection less to worry about if I go flat? My main reason for reconstruction was that I couldn't be bothered to faff about with a prosthesis when getting changed outdoors. I'm 61 and not that bothered about how I look just how I function.

• I knew someone who went in the sea after having a baby. Too early hadn't waited the recommended 6 wks. I was a health visitor. She got sepsis and ended up in ICU. Do as they say to heal first. I think it's a personal decision Sion about going flat or not. Good luck. Xx

• hi jeanne mc

I had a single mastectomy in January & immediate reconstruction but using silicone implant…i was lucky & it’s all healed well & ive just started back in pool…  Havent been back in sea yet or the inland dock(mainly because weather been so rubbish! but am bit apprehensive- but determined to give it a go again!).  I almost made the decision to go flat as I was so active before & I knew it was a longer recovery time for a reconstruction…. Think issue is with a flap you’ve got two wounds to heal too & a longer recovery period again than me.   Totally up to you but if it’s lifestyle over appearance for you then maybe flat is option? It’s a hard one isn’t it!!  Maybe chat again to your breast care nurse or others (swimmers) on here may give their own experience if they’ve gone for the flap option.    
    good luck for whatever treatment you decide!

x