Zoledronic acid 6 monthly infusion.

• 16 replies
  • 274 subscribers

Hi all, I’m due to have my first infusion on the 2nd of April and I’m terrified. I had stage 3 breast cancer which hadn’t  spread to the lymph nodes. I’ve also been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I’ve read so many bad reviews, about the side effects. I’m just starting to feel myself again, after the lumpectomy and radiotherapy, so it’s a worry. I’ve read that you should drink loads of water before and after and also take pain killers for a few days. I would appreciate any advice and information from anyone who’s had this treatment. Thanks 

• Hi,  I had my first one last Friday.,

As the team predicted, I felt like I had flu (but not full on)

My sinuses went as soon as I walked out the door, had a runny nose, sore throat by the evening,

The next morning when I woke I also had low grade muscle aches and felt generally tired, but I took paracetamol and got on with my day.

I had a high temperature and shivers in the evening.

I'm OK now, but I spent a few days generally tired with aching muscles and an on-and-off headache.

Yes drink plenty of water, that's good advice.

• I had my first zoledronic infusion 3 weeks ago. I was fine on the day/evening of the infusion. The next day I had back ache and the following day I could barely walk for the pain. But the pain reduced on the third and fourth days and I’ve had no pain since. With hindsight I would take the strong pain killer / muscle relaxant previously proscribed by my GP for backache (ibuprofen plus codeine) at an earlier stage ie. from the night of the infusion before the pain started. The key messages from me is yes there is muscle pain but it doesn’t last long-. Ibuprofen is better than paracetamol- take it before any pain starts and keep taking it for a few days even if the pain is minimal. Prevention works. And the final message from me is that I can cope with a few days discomfort every 6 months if I have to. Wishing you well on your journey. Hugs.

• Thank you both for your reply’s. I’m still dreading it, but for warned is for armed. Sometimes we don’t really have a choice. My best wishes to all.

• I didn't find it too bad, felt a bit tired the next day. TheKissing cat Tamoxifen makes me feel tired some if the time anyway. Had my first one about 3 wks ago. I only took a couple of paracetamol. The risks of secondaries is worse than any of these effects. I just want to live as long as possible. I'm already retirement age. I'm looking after my teeth well for obvious reasons. 

• You’re absolutely right, I want to live a while longer and also enjoy my retirement. Thanks and good luck to all .

• I have had 2 infusions so far but had them in tandem with chemo. I didn’t have any side effects at all.  The next one I have in April will be my first without any other treatment so keeping my fingers crossed that it will be the same.  Hope that you find your treatment better than you fear. X

• Hi, I was worried as well but it was absolutely fine. Felt a bit achy after but aches went within 24 hours. X

• I didn't notice my first infusion at all, after chemo, surgery and then radiotherapy. No side effects to speak of, I was still feeling so tired out from everything. As I have recovered from the main treatment over the years I have noticed that I got more and more wiped out with each 6 month infusion - probably a good sign that I was feeling better and better each time. My last two knocked me over for about 3-4 weeks with fatigue. 

I think the advice of taking painkillers and drinking water is good. I was never sore, but I did read that it can be more sore if you have bone issues to start with.

• Many thanks for all of the feedback. Some of you have been through much worse than me. I had a lung lobectomy open surgery 5 year ago, (now clear) and that was easy going compared to breast cancer. I’m going to put my positive cap back on and be grateful for the treatment and the brilliant NHS staff. Good luck to everyone on this journey Thumbsup

• hi,

i have been having them every6 months for 2 and a half years now. I don't get any side affects from it, apart from the very first time, it did feel like a flu but then the symptoms goes away within 48 hrs, and then 2nd time onwards, i didnt have any side affects Slight smile

I think different people have different affects, try not to worry about Slight smile  i know it is hard not to worry, big hugs xx