EC Chemo Side Effects

• 11 replies
  • 256 subscribers

Currently on my second cycle of EC. Did anyone else suffer from feeling like you were completely out of body and off your head?! My chemo nurses have said they haven’t seen anyone experience it badly before. I was unwell on the first cycle and they have said if I’m badly affected again they won’t do the third EC before moving onto paclitaxel. Would love some reassurance as to whether this is a normal occurrence as skipping the next cycle would be a big decision. Thanks in advance for any advice x

• Hi Giddy234,

I had a lumpectomy in my left breast and a masectomy with full lymph node clearance on my right side at the end of January and had my first taste of EC on Friday so my experience is limited but here goes. Whilst attached to the drip I was given an anti sickness tablet which I was told would make me sleepy, which it did after about 20 mins but I would say for the next few hours I felt a cross between being up all night with a newborn and having too much to drink! My husband said I was slurring my words at times!

Once I was home and had a nap  I felt better but sleepy. I am day 4 of cycle 1 and so far my only side effects have been the typical red urine for a few visits to the toilet (glad I was warned of this), dry mouth and an upset stomach during Saturday night. So far, I am doing OK. I must admit I was very apprehensive about the days following chemo and at hhe moment it is no where need as bad as I expected. I had my hair cut short in anticipation of my hair coming out which I am expecting to happen soon. I have decided against cold capping. 

Good luck Giddy234 x

• Glad you are doing ok. I have cold capped but my hair came out in handfuls exactly two weeks after my first cycle but has calmed down again so we’ll see what happens in two weeks time again. My out of body hits me around 4 days after the chemo and last cycle lasted until day 11/12 when I started feeling more normal again. It’s definitely been a rollercoaster ride!

• It sounds it! I am counting the cycles down x

• Hi Giddy234, I had my 2nd cycle of EC last Thursday. I too was unwell on the first cycle but more aware of what to expect following this one. My main side effects were due to the steroids, tremor/jittery. Sore throat, mouth ulcers and severe nausea 24/7. 
    I did not experience the out of body/off your head symptoms. 
    I hope you are now feeling better. Hugs Hugging xx

Alfie 24

• Hi Giddy234

ive just finished my third cycle of EC. For me the first few days have not been too bad due to all the drugs. Just like I’ve drunk one too many wines. But day 4-11 have been a roller coaster with different side effects each day - nausea, constipation, diarrhoea, sore mouth, nose bleeds, sense of smell which puts me off eating many things or drinking even water, thrush and tiredness (not all on the same day thank goodness). I wasn’t expecting my scalp to feel so sore when my hair was falling out but it’s better now I’ve had my hair shaved. 
    After that I’ve been fine except when I got an infection. It seems to improve once the Filgrastim injections stop. 
    Hope your side effects on your 2nd cycle are more manageable. 

• Hi Giddy234, 

I have had 3 cycles of EC. I have it fortnightly and have 1 more to go. I find that the first 3-4 days post chemo I am ok, if a bit jittery. The steroids give me a bit of a post chemo high. Day 5 - 7 I feel awful. Weary, weak, jittery and in a fog. It’s almost like vertigo or extreme sleep deprivation. I feel like the world is moving faster than I can process and it makes me feel really vulnerable. I don’t even feel safe going up and down stairs on my own. It has got worse each cycle. I’m not sure if this is what you mean? I just plan for it now. I have someone with me and I don’t try to do anything other than basic hygiene and keeping up with fluids and some food. I sleep a lot and watch really shit tv that doesn’t require any concentration! It is a horrible way to feel and this round I felt a bit traumatised the day after i started to feel better. I’ve rationalised it now. Hopefully it is making the cancer cells feel just as awful. It’s brutal though. The worst of the side effects for sure. 

Im not sure this classes as advice, but it’s always good to know that you aren’t alone! I’m going to have cycle 4 on Wednesday. I’m still more scared of missing a cycle than I am of feeling this way. I have pretty much written off 18-20th March and I must admit that I am dreading it. I just keep looking ahead to when the treatment is over. 

Happy for you to PM me if you want to x

• Hi  

I had EC last year for 3 cycles. It was tough and totally affected my head. I had 1 or 2 days each cycle where I was manic and could not shut my brain off. I thought I was losing it at first. The EC also gave me a foggy brain for at least 2 out do the 3 weeks each cycle. The only thing that did help was CBD. That helped quiet the worst side effects for me. Hope you start feeling more like you again soon. 

• I have done four cycles of another drug and had my first dose of EC three weeks ago followed by another dose on Wednesday, two more cycles to go of EC.

EC for me has been weird, I haven’t felt sick on it - which I did with my previous treatment - but the spaced out, dizziness, light-headed feeling hasn’t been fun - I will take it over the sickness but still…..

I have had a bit of an upset stomach, a bit of acid reflux but other than that - it’s been better for me than the previous treatment - apart from the fact my lashes and brows are on their way out, very sparse which is annoying as I kept them all through the first four cycles of the other treatment.

When the spaced out/dizziness is too much, I have a sleep or a lay down.

Hopefully, I should improve after today as that is what happened last time!

• Hi! 
    I’ve just had my first EC last week. I had a slightly allergic reaction to the “E” part so they didn’t end up giving me the full dose but I’ve been feeling pretty rubbish!

First 4/5 days felt very nauseous..weird metallic taste in my mouth, everything tastes pretty gross!…and definitely felt out of it/light headed for a few days, a bit discombobulated..couldn’t quite put my finger on it but just felt out of sorts..wondering if that was the steroids/anti sickness pills rather than the chemo? So difficult to know! Was starting to feel better day 6/7 but have now got mouth ulcers and sore throat..it’s the gift that keeps on giving!! Hoping that will calm soon so I can enjoy a week or so feeling ok before they hit me with round 2!!

round 2’wiol be TC though now and not EC so will be interesting to see if that makes a difference..my body clearly hasn’t liked the EC! 

I’ve cold capped but wondering about my hair! When did everyone’s hair start to fall out? Did you get itchy scalp or any signs beforehand??

Hope you’re all doing ok’ x

• I’ve just had my first EC and I’m exactly the same - severe nausea and vomiting for the first few days and really spaced out/confused/off my head. I feel better this morning - I’m day 6 now. No idea if it was the steroids or the chemo but I’m not looking forward to the next one!