Had lumpectomy and sentinel node removal on 22.2.24

• 4 replies
  • 267 subscribers

What exercises should I do ? 
worried about results and spreading 

• Hi Burgess welcome to the forum. The hospital should have given you exercises to do before you left? If not please give the breast nurse a call. Also do those exercises religiously as they will help you to get full movement and extension back in that arm. It is perfectly normal and OK to be anxious waiting for results and we can all relate to that. The secret is to try and keep super busy thtn time seems to go past a bit quicker. Xxx sending hugs. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Agree with Granny59 - you should have the exercises but in the meantime, it is about getting your arm above your head, out to the side and behind your head but needs to be done gradually so you don't over stretch.  My BC nurse told me to work through any pain and take painkillers, however a physio consultant told me never to work through the pain (was seeing him for another reason but deals with BC patients).  A very simple exercise is to face a door frame/wall and place hand on the surface and then try and walk your finger up the wall/door frame with the aim to be doing higher every day or so. Seems to be the norm to repeat any exercise 10 times - it will help reduce cording too - hope that helps x

• Hi there,  I had the same done almost a year ago now! The surgery went well but,  as they removed the sentinel nodes, I've lost th feeling at the side of my breast and at the bottom of my right arm...I am on Letrozole for 5 years and it's OK apart from sweats at any time of day or night...Good luck..

• If the hospital didn't give you any exercises then go to "Breast Cancer Now" who have a wealth of leaflets you can send for including one with a chart of the exercises you should do.  I'm going to stick my chart on the back of a door to remine me !