Radiotherapy - Skin Changes

• 8 replies
  • 271 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Today will be treatment 11/15 and I’m just starting to see redness and a definate radiotherapy line on my breast.

It doesn’t hurt and isn’t itchy and so far so good I guess. I’ve been slapping E45 on.

However, I was told at my review that side effects peak about 14 days after your last treatment.

Therefore, I am wondering what your findings were? How red did you get? Did the redness start to fade away or do you still retain different coloured breasts forever?  How long until you felt the breast looked relatively normal again?

All in all not a bad experience and for patients still awaiting their RT it’s quite easy apart from daily travelling and parking which is a bit tedious. The process itself is very efficient and quick. In and out in fifteen minutes and driving home.

Hope everyone doing well.

• I bought a bottle of aloe vera gel and kept it in the fridge.  Applying that every day after treatment helped with the redness.

• My worst period was about 6-7 weeks after treatment on the 5 day protocol. Heavy burning and peeling through several layers, like a very bad sunburn. It resolved to a normal colour quite quickly but with some oedema 

• Hello,  Well you are doing great and that is good.  I had bilateral radiation to breasts and had 16 treatments to both and a boost of 5 to the right one.  I am fair skinned but managed well with very minimal redness and some itching now and then.  I used all Avene products and they suited me.  I keep the spray can of the water in fridge and it was so refreshing and I sprayed it on during the day as it is healing and calming.  
    My breast skin looks normal and no redness at all.  Being diligent with  caring for the skin is super important.  Take care.

Barbara 

• Barbara,

Thankyou so much for your response and suggestions. You did brilliantly!

I’m also fair skinned and I’m now two days post treatment - 15 in total including the boost, which was delivered simultaneously.

The itching has calmed down and the redness is no worse so I am hopeful I will be ok too.

My new boobs have been the silver lining and I love what the surgeon did from a 36G to a 36D. I feel 19 again! 
    Take care x

• Hi. 

I had the 5 sessions plan, boost included. 

They recommended me to start moisturizing 10 days before start which I did with Avéne XeraCalm twice a day.

One week after the last session I had slightly swelling breast, pinker skin, brownish itching nipple. They recommended to keep the Avéne cream and gave me a hyaluronic acid cream to use on the nipple area which really helped. 

Four weeks in I had the follow up, doctor said that I had a grade I radiodermatitis (sorry if misspelled) on nipple and everything else was good. The brownish skin is peeling off, almost gone and pinker breast faded into pale again.

Wishing everyone a smooth treatment. 

• Thank you for this! I'm on day 3/20 and have been a bit anxious about the effects on my skin. This has been reassuring x

• Love the Avene products and used cleanser, Cicalfate restorative cream for moisturizer during radiation.  Went well.

So glad you are doing well.  Take care

Barbara 

• The reduction must be great and give you a lift.  I am a small 34A so nothing for me.  You are doing really great and I honestly did not notice my breasts got redder after treatment ended.  I was just so diligent as with our fair skin it can get out of hand.

Barbara