PALB2 diagnosis after cancer treatment

• 1 reply
  • 266 subscribers

Hello everyone,

so, after dealing with breast cancer last year (radiotherapy finished in May), I agreed to do a genetic testing due to family history.

And, now I am told that I have PALB2 mutation (which I never heard of before) which means for me, 60% chance of having cancer in my other breast.
They immediately suggested double mastectomy. 
Dealing with cancer last year nearly broke me mentally. After having mammo in November and being told it was clear, I started breathing again…

I m trying very hard to be strong for the sake of my family (husband and two young adults) but I’m fluctuating between anger and despair !

And I still have to make a decision which I’m really not ready for.

I know I’m the only one who can solve this, but I just feel that only someone who is going through this themselves can understand.

If you are or have been in this situation, anything you can recommend ?

Virtual hugs to everyone on here xxx

• Hi Mano so sorry you have now found this out and especially after thinking you had completed your treatment.  I can imagine how you’re feeling as it was a blow when I found out I had PALB2 after I’d had a lumpectomy and was half way through chemo for TNBC.  I was 60 at the time.

After chemotherapy ended I eventually had dmx with immediate reconstruction and then about 3 months later had my ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed as for me, they were considered to be a risk too.  

I knew immediately that I wanted both surgeries and it was a huge mental relief when I woke up after surgery knowing I’d done all I could to reduce my risk.    If it helps, they were both relatively painless and for me, easy to recover from both.   I also had 3 other unrelated operations in an horrendous 18 month period which I didn’t think I’d ever get over but I did and you will too if that’s the path you choose to take.

Best of luck x