Wound not healing after Licap surgery

• 9 replies
  • 267 subscribers

I had my surgery on 22nd December to remove my 49mm breast tumour. At the same time they did LICAP surgery using fat from under my arm.  It was healing fine for the first 3 weeks, and then I started to have a small saroma leak, since then and for the last 4 weeks my scar has opened about 10cm across and just won't heal.  Dressings seem useless, but surgeon is saying no infection and are not sure why it isn't healing. So I have been back today to have yet another pico dressing put on, they have taken a swab (after me asking for one) and have referred me to the wound care team (which could take another 3 weeks to come through). Has anyone else had an issue like this with their wound? It's really getting me down now.

Sorry for the long post, just didn't know where else to turn.

1. Claire xx
  • Good evening, tell me, do you know your blood sugar level? If it is very large, then perhaps this is why the wound does not heal, stop eating sweets, flour, fried foods, eat only meat, eggs and vegetables

• Thank you for responding. I don't know my blood sugar levels but I will definitely look further into diet. I have recently started to look at what I'm eating but never thought it would have to do with the wound not healing. 
  • Hi Claire

yes agree with Solnce..&  I also read that it’s good to increase your protein intake to aid wound healing …

hope this helps & it heals up soon for you ..must be very frustrating xx

• Thank you, I am definitely going to give this a try xx

• Good luck & speedy healing x

• Hello. My surgery was on the 20th Dec. My lumpectomy scar has healed well but my arm pit scar still has 2 little holes in it.. and is leaking a bit of brown, watery fluid. They just keep telling me not to worry and that it will heal eventually. It’s right in the crease of my arm pit so not ideal healing conditions. I’m also told to get the air to it as much as I can. It’s frustrating isn’t it. I hope you heal soon x

• Hi Jacster I'm sorry to hear your having trouble with your wound also. I have to say since posting this my breast care team have referred me to the wound care team, and between them and the district nurses helping hopefully we will now get somewhere. I was in a&e last night with symptoms we didnt know were related to my wound, and it's been confirmed I have an infection. They were fantastic with me and I have already received a call from the wound team and we have a treatment plan. If you feel something isn't right you are ok to question, why it's happening and what is the plan moving forward.  You will get there in the end, I hope this is just a small bump.in your recovery journey Heart️ 

• Aw hope it heals soon… glad you’ve got a treatment plan x

• Thank you for your kind words. I’m healing very slowly but surely. I Send the BCN regular pics and she is happy to check me over regularly so we are def keeping an eye on things. It  sounds like you’ve had a rough ride but are being well looked after. . I hope you get the infection under control quickly. It’s a long old road isn’t it. I hope your symptoms ease soon too x sending healing vibes x