Chemotherapy Breakdown

• 4 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hello! I am new to this world, diagnosed with grade 3 ER +ve ductal cancer with spread to lymphnodes in December, lumpectomy and reconstruction in January and had my first oncology appointment this week where 8 rounds (ECP) every 2 weeks were recommended. I didn’t expect this process to be this long, ahhh, I miss the innocence of not knowing anything about cancer.

I am busy researching it all and it looks like in addition to the infusions there are white blood cell boosters for a couple of days afterwards. 

I am looking for a sense of what the 14 days of each round look like? Day 1 infusion, what happens after that? Are the booster injections self administered or do you go into the hospital? 

And when in the cycle do you feel kind of normal again? Day 5 or 6?? Are the last 7 days easy sailing?

It sucks having to be here, but I am thankful for this forum for all the information you are all sharing. 

• Hi

I would say expect to feel near normal second week . I had mine 3 weekly so I had a week rough a week better but very tired and a week ok the whack another lot. Mine I have to say were cumulative so recovery took a bit longer the more I had. 

Good luck with it all x

• Hello   thank you for your response, it will be quite helpful as I plan for the coming for weeks. 

Take Care of Yourself

• Hi, I blogged throughout and wrote this one (Chemo blog link) about chemo and things I wish I’d known. Best of luck   

Community Champion badge

• My treatment is weekly. I’ve had one so far, second one is on Saturday. I had to take anti sickness tablets and steroid tablets for two days (twice a day) after my treatment. I had to do the injections for three days (once a day). I ended up doing the injections myself as my boyfriend who was going to do them was in work when I needed to have them. The thought of them was worse than actually doing them. I did find I had some abdominal aches on days two and three.