Letrozole - Is it always prescribed in conjunction with other medication.

• 1 reply
  • 267 subscribers

Hello everyone. I am 70. Recently diagnosed with Lobular, Stage 1, Grade 2, I am ER and PR positive and HER2 negative.No apparent lymph node involvement. I have been given various treatment options. Does everyone with my type of tumour have to take Letrozole for five years regardless of treatment plan. I'm more scared of the bisphosphonate that seems to be given alongside it. I have complicated dental issues and its really worrying me. I have no idea which pathway to choose. I also suffer from extreme hospital anxiety.

• Hi there, as I understand it, letrozole is prescribed when the cancer is estrogen positive as it “blocks” the estrogen and the bisphosphonates are designed to strengthen the bones as our bones get weaker without estrogen (at least that's how I understand it)

I've had 5 bisphosphonate infusions now. The first one gave me horrible flu symptoms for about a day and the other four have given my no trouble at all. I have had some emergency dental work done, not ideal, but I had to have a wisdom tooth removed.

The lovely team here at Macmillan would be happy to chat things through with you if that helps. You can call the, on 0800 808 0000. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge