New to the unknown . Whats next?

• 4 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Im 44, had hysterectomy in 2019 . and after finding small lump (like a marble) just before xmas i then noticed skin changes around the lump pretty quickly. So i went to visit my GP 2 weeks ago who referred me urgently on the 2WW with the NHS.

When i arrived last Thursday 25th for my appointment , my initial consultation was very brief, he skimmed round my breast, didn’t feel the lump and told me the skin changing and dimpling are fatty tissue ‘or something’ where his words. He told me ill have mammo and an ultrasound & then i could go. “Theres nothing to worry about “ he said, He even handed me my discharge papers.

Following this I was sent for the mammogram and then the ultrasound. Both scans were one after the other and i was surprised how efficient the whole process was.

During the ultrasound, the radiographer said “ i know he said you could go but I need to take biopsy's and then send you back to see the consultant after another mammogram with metal clips in that I'm going to insert during the biopsy

I was totally confused at this point but went along with it. X4 biposys later, x2 in my lymph nodes and 2 in my left breast where the skin changes and lump were. So after the 3rd mammogram I now go see consultant again.

wellllll he said, you have done great finding this lump as you have very large breasts!! And the proceeded to tell me this is highly likely to be cancer. I now have a full body pet/ct scan this saturday and a breast MRI the saturday after before my meeting with the same consultant to discuss all of my results.

I dont know where to look or turn for advice and im so glad i found this group. I lost my best friend to breast 3 years ago & also my mum to cancer recently. The two ppl i would have gone to advice with are gone.. 

sorry for the lengthy post.  
A bit of advice what i should expect next would be extremely grateful 

Paula s - thank you

• Hi sorry to hear your news. I can’t give you any advice I’m still early on as found lump and like you went for mammograms and ultrasound last Wednesday where I had 2 biopsies done and mental clip put in the consultant said it’s highly likely cancer and I need to wait for biopsy result so we can put together a treatment plan the waiting part is doing my head in

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the forum. Sorry you find yourself in the club none of us wanted to join. But I’ve found it a great place for support and shared experiences. Re what happens next…. I can only say what happened with me, but to start with I’ll just say, the waiting is definitely tortuous. But please resist the temptation to google as so much out there is out of date or just wrong. After my initial breast clinic appointment (like with you I was told then that it was very likely to be cancer), I went back for results. At that appointment I learned the type of my breast cancer (there are lots), the estimated size of the lump, and the proposed treatment plan. In my case, operation to remove the beast plus sample some lymph nodes, followed by hormone treatment and radiotherapy. So I was given a likely op date and things progressed from there. I’d suggest trying just to focus on one step at a time, rather than imagining all the possible scenarios. Easier said than done, I know. So atm it’s just get through to Saturday to have your scans (good that they’re being so thorough). Then the next wait for results. You’ll know more after the results appointment so try not to think too much beyond that. That was my way of coping, anyway! I’m sure others will pop in to share their thoughts and experiences. It’s definitely a very lonely feeling time but you’ve found a whole bunch of new friends here who will be with you during your treatments, whatever they turn out to be. Love and hugs, HFxx 

PS - I also lost my mum to cancer so it’s always lurked in my mind as a possibility. But Treatments are progressing all the time and breast cancer is very treatable these days. 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Hi K.M, thank you for your reply. The waiting is horrible isnt it. Ive just received the letter from my consultant today explaining what happened during my screening. The letter has made it all seem real now. I keep having to remind myself of what is actually happening. I cant seem to get my head around it.. I got engaged xmas eve & now im facing cancer! Seems surreal.

I hope you’re ok & have plenty of support. Im always here if you want to talk xx

• Hi Happyfeet, thank you for your reply. The waiting is awful but do feel everything is getting fast in regards to upcoming scans and appointments.

i had a letter today from consultant confirming everything from my screening. The letter has made things all seem more real as ive been having to remind myself what’s actually happening as its been such a shock.. 

thank you for your response & hope everything is ok with you xx