Ribociclib, Letrozole and Low Mood

• 3 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hi. I'm a 36yo mum of 2 (age 4 and 1) and almost 2 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer with secondary in the liver. I was told it was life-limiting and after a course of chemotherapy, I was put on targeted therapy of Letrozole, Ribociclib and monthly injections of Zoladex. I am currently on round 16 of the riboclib and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. My appetite has lessened making taking the Ribociclib with food to avoid any nausea difficult but most recently is my mood. Not only do I struggle on a daily basis with the fatigue but my general mood, drive and will is so low. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and I want to watch my kids grow up but everyday taking care of the kids and working full time is such a mental and emotional struggle. All I want to do is stop, do nothing. The prospect of this being my norm going forward is so depressing. 

Has anyone else had these emotional struggles everyday whilst on these meds. What did you do? 

• Hi WontBeBeaten

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry  to hear that you were diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and are struggling at the moment.  While I'm not on those meds I've struggled with my emotions during my cancer treatment.  Would you consider counselling?  If you would you could ring the Macmillan helpline on 0808 808 00 00 to speak to someone about how you are feeling and they'll be able to arrange counselling for you or alternatively if you have a Maggie's centre near you or another cancer centre you could either call in or give them a ring and they could also arrange counselling for you.  

I usually find that going for a walk helps lift my mood when I'm feeling down. 

I hope this helps somewhat.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi I’ve just finished cycle 17 and can completely understand this. My emotions have been all over the place since I’ve started this medication. I have extremely bad fatigue and would love my old life back as would we all I know. I understand how you feel totally 

• I was trying to think of things that helped me. The most useful one was exercise and getting in some outside time every day in the morning. But there are also complementary therapies through cancer charities like Macmillan. Acupuncture, massage, reiki and so on. You may well find something that suits you. I also find the short wim hof breathing tutorials helpful. They only take a few mins. Or five to ten mins of yoga - it takes my entire focus to balance without falling over! But distraction, exercise and relaxation all helped me.