Feeling bllurghgh generally and Herceptin

• 8 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I've not posted for a while and hope you are all doing well. I finish my chemo in November and now just Herceptin injections until July. I'm feeling really bllurghgh and down. I'm still getting a lot of hip/ leg pain and my mood is all over the place, insomnia and hot flushes. GP prescribed Sertraline, but that didn't agree with me. I'm worried leg pain might be cancer returned and am feeling anxious and worried all the time - worse than when I was having chemo and the mastectomy! Do you think I could ask my oncologist or GP for a scan to help put my mind at ease? I've only ever had the left breast checked and removed and I'm just worried about everything. Sorry for rambling on. I've also had counselling but that hasn't really helped either. Just want to be feeling better now and feel a bit selfish, as I know there are many people worse off than me. I'm exercising regularly and this helps with my mood but I just seem to be all over the place. Thanks for listening xx

• Hi Moomin48

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with hip and leg pain.  It certainly wouldn't do any harm to ask your oncologist for a scan, they can only say no.

Hope you feel better soon..

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Moomin48, yes I would discuss with your oncologist to see if they would do a scan. Can I ask are you on any hormone tablets? I’m on Tamoxifen and one batch did give me hip pain. It could be the one you are On and sometimes swapping manufacturer can help as the fillers they use can cause different side effects. 
    Wishing you all the best.

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Hello there,

So sorry you're struggling at the moment and are worrying about the hip/leg pain. It's always important to go to your GP if you are having symptoms you're concerned about ,as they can put your mind at rest and send you for further investigations if necessary.

I struggled with herceptin , it causing various aches and pains and very low mood. I went to the GP regularly and they were always very kind and thorough in their investigations. and they prescribed mirtazepine  which has made my mood more stable and has helped with sleep.

Having completed the herceptin now for 6 months I do feel better and the aches and pains have subsided

I wish you all the very best with your continued treatment and send love and hugs..

• Hi Cuffcake,

Thank you for replying. No, I'm just receiving Herceptin. Although my diagnosis was ER+ and HER2+, my ER score was 3/8 and my Oncologist didn't think Tamoxifen would be that beneficial given the lower score. Another thing I worry about! It's hard not to over think everything. Sounds like it can be a bit trial and error to find what suits. Sending hugs x

• Thank you for replying. I've emailed my oncologist and am having a dose of Herceptin this afternoon and will see what the nurse thinks too. I think lack of sleep isn't helping. I did try mirtazepine a few years ago but found I couldn't wake up the next morning! Do you struggle with that? I wonder if it passes if I persevered?? It's a real struggle to get a GP appointment at my surgery.

It's good to know the aches and pains from the Herceptin did settle down. Hugs xxx

• I had mastectomy followed by chemo, radiotherapy and then phesgo which finished Sept 2022. 

My leg muscles didn’t feel like they had a lot of strength and joints were a bit achy along with general fatigue. My nails were also very brittle and kept breaking. Things improved once I finished phesgo. I wasn’t on hormone tablets either. X

• Thank you, Gilliebean that's helpful to hear. Hopefully when I finish in July it'll start to improve. I just chatted to chemo nurse and she thinks it could also still be from the chemo as well. It's fine while I'm walking or running, but the pain comes when I'm still. Very annoying! Thanks for replying and I hope you are well. Hugs xx

• Hello again,

I started on 15mg of mirtazepine initially and at this dose I felt constantly tired but when I went up to the higher dose of 30mgs( apparently this is the normal way in which these drugs are prescribed) it settled and I now just find them very beneficial. Of course everyone has a different tolerance and reaction to any drug.

I hope you have a successful appointment with your oncologist and best wishes with the rest of your treatment.