Full body scan

• 6 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hello just had my oncology appointment and will start chemo on Thursday (EC x3 followed by docetaxal x 3) all was expected until the Oncologist asked if I’d like a full body scan as this was something she offered all her patients- well now I am wobbling again as no one else had mentioned this before. I asked why and was it because there was something wrong and she did reassure me not but said it was something that she did for her patients - am I missing something ? Is this normal ? Has anyone else had one? Feels like just as I start to breathe something else pops in and I’m panicking again.

• Hi Shel1007

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  It's not unusual to have a full body scan after being diagnosed with cancer.  The scan is to check for spread.  I had a full body scan when I was diagnosed with breast cancer over three years ago and happily there was no spread of the cancer.

Wishing you the best of luck with the scan and with chemo.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Daisy53 - that’s what I needed to hear - I have everything crossed Fingers crossed 

• Yes i had one a month ago. I already had a diagnosis and started treatment ( letrazole) bur surgeon suggested full scan and i wanted it. It gave me huge reassurance that i had no lurking issues and that areas such as my liver and bowel were clear. Being offered this is your team being caring. 

• Thank you - I know it’s the right thing just in that weird headspace but knowing others have had this makes me feel better. 

• So had my scan - did have quite a few wobbles before it as it just feels endless at the moment but it’s another step along this path so that’s a positive- I understand the results go back to my oncologist so I’ll wait for my next appointment- all things crossed Fingers crossed 

• Hopefully it’ll be fine. I was also offered this, I think it’s standard in many regions. All the best to you x