Radiotherapy and driving

• 9 replies
  • 273 subscribers

I have just received the results of my lumpectomy and advised of a possible treatment plan-namely chemo followed by radiotherapy. My question is whether it is safe to drive after a radiotherapy session. I know I might find out more about this at meetings with the oncology team but at the moment I’m in that lovely limbo land of waiting. I am hoping that some of you lovely people can share your views and experience about this

thank you

• Hello, yes, I drove myself too and from radiotherapy appointments. Only a 20 min drive.. I suggest someone takes you to the first one if possible so you can judge you Ryan d be aware a lot of people struggle with fatigue during and after treatment..some don’t! 

• Hi  , I had 3 weeks of radiotherapy (5 years ago this month) and could have driven myself every day. But I had various friends who offered to help so in the end I drove myself for the first 2 weeks and was driven for the last week. It was an hour each way and by that last week my breast was quite sore so it was nice to be driven. But I definitely could have done it all myself. I was tired but not overwhelmingly so. It was lovely to have the company and we stopped on the way back at a garden centre for coffee and sometimes lunch. I rested once home and aired my boob! Sorry for the ramble! I’d just say accept help if it’s offered but for me it was a luxury, not essential. Do you know yet how many sessions you’ll have? It’s often just one week now but everyone’s treatment plan is different. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Yes I was absolutely fine to drive and went to all my radiotherapy sessions alone (I had a very useless husband at the time). I didn’t have any issues with radiotherapy really, I was very lucky, some tiredness and a bit of redness and scabbing but nothing excessive. Hope you gave the same experience xx

• i drove to all my radio therapy appts, very long days, and was ok, but may depend which side and how seat belt hits, and just how you get on.

i had redness and a bit tender but is not too bad atm, just finished bfriday

• I drove to and from all of my 15 radiotherapy sessions. It was an hour each way but I really enjoyed the drive and the sense of independence after being so reliant on my husband during treatment. The roads were really quiet as we were still coming out of Covid.

I was beginning to feel tired towards the end of the sessions but would always treat myself to coffee and cake before driving home.

• Hello,  I drove to all of my radiation treatments and total 21days.  Was only 5 miles each way so not a big deal.  Another plus was I did not feel fatigued which can happen. 
    Once I had accepted that I needed radiation it was nice to count down the days until I was done.  
    Barbara

Barbara 

• A big thank you to everyone who has responded. I am pleased to hear that driving to treatment sessions is more than doable. This just gives another level of control over things. Good luck to everyone wherever you are in your own journey. Take care x

• i havent had radio therapy yet, but oncologist did say during chemo treatment not to drive, all the best

• i also drove during chemo first rounds, but taxol was a no, because the Benadryl, too loopy