Scars, taping & massage

• 7 replies
  • 267 subscribers

I had a therapeutic mammoplasty with bilateral reduction 8 weeks ago to remove what turned out to be 2 lobular tumours, along with sentinel node biopsy. It has been quite a painful recovery & taking time for diffuse swelling to reduce. I had a bit of seroma fluid leakage for Christmas! The scars are all now intact, although the cancer side has taken longer and the scars will be worse. They got the monsters out with clear margins. 

When were you told to stop taping and start massaging? It’s all a bit vague. I haven’t got a straight answer - at least that I can remember - and I don’t get follow up appointments now to discuss. I see the oncologist on 23rd but imagine that’ll just tackle radiotherapy and drugs (scared and unhappy about both necessary evils). 

Thanks xx

• Hi Sarahbear - contact your bc nurse - when I asked mine they emailed me some ways to massage the scar area.

Glad you had clear margins too and hope your meeting goes well x

• Thank you. I managed to get through to the team after posting and spoke to a different nurse who was able to answer my questions and help sort out next steps. Persistence pays off :)  Still interested to hear other people’s experiences. It hasn’t been a straightforward journey x

• Glad you got sorted Blush

When I was first diagnosed the surgeon never mentioned any chemo only radiotherapy and hormone therapy, but once I had my smx with full node clearance chemo was brought into the equation and the hormone tablets became 10 years instead of 5 years, so you’re right to say that none of our journey’s are straightforward x

• Hi Sarah Bear, 

I was told from biopsy results that I had grade 2 IDC, lymph nodes looked clear from ultrasound sound and MRI. After lumpectomy 2 of 3 lymph nodes had cancer and it turned out to be a grade 3. I literally arranged my funeral, so I understand the trauma. After node clearance, no further cancer found, I had chemo, radiotherapy, on hormone treatment, 6 monthly zometa and 2 years of Abemaciclib. My treatment has been aggressive but I feel lucky to be able to access it and I appreciate life so much more.

• Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you’ve really been through it. I hope the worst is all behind you now. I’ll also be getting hormone blockers. How are you finding the tablets xx

• Hi Shade. You must be so relieved after going through all of that. It must have been absolutely exhausting. . Just the surgery has been bad enough. I remember planning my funeral whilst waiting for the biopsy results. I wonder how many of us do this. It definitely feels like dodging a bullet and I’m looking forward to some adventures when this is all over xx

• I haven’t started them yet as my last chemo was on 22nd dec my oncologist said that my body needed to be recovered before starting so this will be in a week or so xx