Found a second area of concern during lumpectomy

• 8 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hi

i had my follow up today after my lumpectomy and SLNB. My margins of the lump were clear but a second area of concern was picked up by X-ray during the op.  This was also removed and the margins clear but they need a bigger clear margin so another op booked in 2 weeks.  Also some micro activity in the lymph node but this will be treated by radiotherapy.   I’m struggling to understand how the second area wasn’t picked up by either mammogram or MRI.  My original lump was 1.9cm and was mixed ductal and lobular.  

• Mine was only seen on a 3 D mammogram,and not very visible on a MRI either&  not picked up on a normal mammogram or scan . Found in a biopsy after  the cutting of a duct that was leaking . 

• Hi Janey25

Sorry to hear that they found a second area of concern was found during the operation. I had an area of concern after I had a lumpectomy in May. They found cancer in my lymph node so I had a CT Scan which picked up an area of concern in my left breast. Unfortunately it turned out to be a local recurrence of the triple negative breast cancer that I was diagnosed with over three years ago which didn’t show up in my second yearly mammogram last March. I had further surgery in September after which I was given the all clear is month later.

Best of luck with your second act and hopefully they’ll get all the margins this time.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Janey 25

Im sorry you are facing further surgery.   I know how that feels, It happened to me when a suspicious area from under the nipple was noticed during surgery so they wanted to take more margin. I’m afraid some cancers evade some scans, lobular breast cancer is known as the sneaky one.  Mine was lobular bc and it didn’t show up on a mammogram, an ultrasound scan or even an MRI scan yet it was 5.8 cms in size.  I know it’s easy to say try not to worry but please try to take comfort from the fact that they are being very thorough. 

I wish you all the best for a good outcome. Take care x 

• Thank you for your reply - I think I feel worse knowing I’ve got to go back and go through it again than I did the first time. Just when you feel that you’re healing well!   I’m not sure I fully understand what the consultant is saying to me either about how he discovered the second area. Apparently they use x-ray during the procedure.  I hope you are okay now?  Xx

• Thank you for your reply - I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through all that - we are definitely stronger than we think when it comes to it.  I am already crumbling at the thought of second surgery though .  Can I ask did you have a second surgery on your lymph nodes too?  They are suggesting just radiotherapy for me because it’s a small invasion   Xx

• Hi - it’s so scary that nothing seems to pick up some breast cancers.  I’m convinced I have it everywhere in my breasts now and it’s just not showing up!  How are you doing now ? 

• Hi Janey25

I had all the lymph nodes taken out from under my right had side during the second operation.

Daisy53 xxx

Community Champion Badge

• Yes I’m fine now thank you,  and you will be too. I remember the second op very well, I was petrified but I needn’t be. It was fine and I felt surprisingly good after.  In my case they found three more very small tumours that they removed, they also removed 9 lymph nodes of which 2 were infected.  They wanted to go in for a third time to get clear margins yet again.  This time I said please remove the breast. After my mastectomy it transpired that there was no more sign of cancer in the removed breast. I was relieved that the breast had gone and even went flat. I have no regrets for my decision. I’m doing fine, I didn’t have chemo, I had 15 rounds of radiotherapy. I’m on letrozole for 10 years, Amebaciclib for 2 years and zoladronic acid infusions every six months for three years.   I’m doing good on my medication and my first annual checkup went well.  

Before you know it, you will be on your adjuvant plan and getting on with your life again, just like me. Sending you all the best, M x