CA 15-3 test

• 23 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hello all,

I hope you are doing well! I was wondering if you could share more information about the cancer antigen test CA 15-3? My result is 34 and I am terrified the chemo didn't do its job and the cancer is spreading. I'll speak with my BC nurse, but I will greatly appreciate any personal experience or additional information about how to read the test results.

Many thanks,

Lana

• Hi, I was wondering how you know your level is 34.  I’ve had a blood test every month which includes ca153 and I’ve never been told any of my results.  My tests are because I’m on Abemaciclib. 
    According to google, a high ca153 test result does not mean you have cancer or that it has returned.   

My bloods are taken at my gp surgery but because they are requested by the hospital the results don’t go on my gp records.   Dies anyone know how I can get my results please? 

Please try not to read anything into it until you have spoken to your team.

sending best wishes x

• Thank you so much for your reply, Mibby! I know my level is 34 because I am using the Patients Know Best app and it shows every single appointment, test result, etc. And yes, you are right that googling too much is not a very good idea, I’ll wait and see what my oncologist will say...

Best wishes, x 

• Hi Mibby

You would probably have to apply for your result through “The Information Act”. It might be worthwhile ringing your BCN to ask them about your blood results.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Daisy 53 I’m scared to ask for result access as I don’t want to see all my diagnostic results. But I would like to see my blood test results.  I never hear back after a test and wonder what my cholesterol, sugar levels and white blood cells are.  It’s a full blood count, liver and kidney ca153 etc. yet I hear nothing.  

Many thanks and stay well. X

• Thank you for posting, I had not heard about this test, i am due my annual blood test, so,will ask about this test.

is this routinely offered by your GP following BC? 

• Hi Lana65, my CA153 marker had come down to 25 in Sept. I think it is lower than this now but I can’t find my latest test result. It was much higher when I was on chemo and gradually came down slowly after I finished. 
    Wishing you all the best 

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• I’m not sure but I think it depends on what treatment you are having. Mine was ordered by the hospital because I am on the drug Abemaciclib.  It won’t hurt to ask for it to be included in your annual blood test.   Good luck x

• Thank you so much for your reply, cuffcake2000! I do hope that would be my case too!

Big hug, xx

1. What is this blood test for. I had both oestrogens positive tumours and Her2 tumours. Does the blood test give information about possible  reoccurrence . I  had double mastectomy so no annual mammogram to check all clear Thanks

Information source

• In my case I think they did the test to check how I responded to chemothetapy...