Endometrial thickening and Tamoxifen

• 8 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I seem to be in between Breast and Endometrial! I'm having my third hysteroscopy this Friday for an endometrial thickening of 38mm. This is suspected as a result of the medication Tamoxifen which I have taken for 2 years following breast cancer. I have just had an inpatient stay due to really heavy bleeding.

I've been offered a Mirena coil insertion at the same time as the hysteroscopy (under GA) and am in two minds about it. I'm a little worried about the hormones in my system as my breast cancer was oestrogen and progesterone positive. The research is a little unclear as to whether this is an issue or not. I'm also worried about the extraction of the coil in 5 years (I know that's a bit much, but I'm such an anxious patient). 

I would be grateful for anyone's experiences of having a Mirena coil inserted for endometrial thickening and whether this reduced the thickening and helped with heavy bleeding. I've also been offered Zoladex but upon reading some reviews on this drug, I feel the side effects could be worse than the Mirena. I'm so confused right now.

With many thanks,

Robyn.

• Hello, I am unable to answer your question unfortunately, however, didn’t know this was possible as my mirena coil had to be removed when diagnosed. I am sure someone on this site will be able to answer your questions. It seems a never ending journey! When you’re told you’re cancer free then we have additional bits added! Please try not to worry and hope you get some support x x x 

• Hi Robyn, I can’t answer your question but as the coil releases hormones and it sounds like your cancer was hormone positive I would try and speak with breast care nurse. MacMillan nurses maybe able to help too. I was always under the impression if one’s cancer was hormone feed then no hrt or coils would be advisable. 
    Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Thanks cuffcake. That was my thinking too which I think has led me to some confusion. I wasn't keen on the idea to be honest, but I think the hormone release is definitely a risk factor that I'm not prepared to take.

Take care x

• Hi Robyn,  I had the mirena coil fitted before I had breast cancer but had to have it removed once I was diagnosed. I had estrogen positive cancer and have been told I will not be able to have hrt. I also have just had a hysteroscopy because of bleeding while taking tamoxifen and they found lots of fibroids a big polyp and thickening of the lining. I am just waiting on the biopsy results to come back so will be interesting to see what the outcome is and if they offer anything. Good luck in whatever you decide. X
  • Hi Boobella, sounds very similar to my story. Upon more research today I think I'm definitely leaning towards Zoladex. Good luck for your results and hope all is well and just a side effect of the Tamoxifen :) x

• Hi Boobella just read your post and wondered if you have had any news from biopsy results, and also ask your personal advice. I am nearly 56 and prior to DCIS had the Mirena coil, therefore, no periods for over 10 years. Been on Tamoxifen 3 months and on my third day of quite heavy bleeding, not sure wether to get it checked out or just see if a one off! X 

• Hi palms. Yes I got my results back and all was clear , they said it was the tamoxifen causing it. They said if it happens again they will look at maybe different drugs. When I 1st started tamoxifen I had a couple of bleeds but then it suddenly stopped . I would call your breast nurse just to advise and they can put it on your notes. I think some people still bleed on tamoxifen but definitely speak with your nurse . Hope all goes well xx

• That’s good news and glad to hear everything is ok x yes as you say worth me calling and it can be logged. Onwards and upwards and we just need to keep listening to our bodies, as we know ourselves better than anyone else! Take care and thanks again xxx