Body shock - pre op stress

• 7 replies
  • 257 subscribers

Hello

I went for my pre op today as my mastectomy is next week.  This time next week, it should be done Smirk.  When I took my blouse and bra off for the ECG, I was horrified.  My breast resembled a blue orange! The lump is now apparent to my naked eye, probably the cold room didn't help as my poor nipple was sunken instead of proud as it normally would be in cold temps, and the whole thing just looks.... well dead.  The blue dye is the remnants from my lymph node removal.  It's actually made it a bit easier to accept that it's happening and it has to go.

The HCA asked me about my breast as she felt the lump placing the ECG sticker, so I explained it wasn't a bruise but dye.

I'm less than amused that I have to see my GP nurse for a BP check as that has shot up again, my peri menopausal anxiety is probably not helping  there.  I also need another blood test this Friday in case I need a transfusion.  But they know my blood group by now surely? I only need an argument about potential pregnancies whilst I'm on the operating table (I'm 51), to replicate my previous op - lymph node removal.

I am off to spend a couple of days with my boyfriend tomorrow before the fray begins.  I'm clinging to every scrap of Now before I get my New Now.

• Bless you, all the pre op stuff is stressful, I had covid test & self isolation too.

Hope your surgery goes well, it's a massive step forward in your treatment 

Best wishes x 

• I found this time very stressful- I have white coat syndrome so my bp is always high when I visited therefore I had to supply a weeks worth of readings to show this - even on the day of my op it was super high !

I hope your surgery goes well x

• Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery OnlineSally.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Online Sally,  the pre op can be a stressful time.  I had white coat syndrome as well, and had to do daily bp tests.  But the op was not as scary as I imagined and it all went well.  I wish you well for your op and hope you enjoy your few days away.  Take care xx 

• I’m due for my pre op on Friday, it makes it all seem a bit real! I’m due for a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy so I’ve got a big brown dye patch too.  

I had a mag seed inserted today, I was dreading it as the biopsy had been really painful, but the radiologist was really good and made sure I couldn’t feel much before going ahead and it was much better.

Hope your op goes well.  Enjoy your break. X

• did you have a local anaesthetic ?

• I had my pre op on Friday it does make everything more real and not going to lie I had a bit of a cry. I e not cried much at all since diagnosis. My surgery isn’t until the 21st and I’m getting quite anxious about it if I’m honest.

I think we just need to keep talking and reassuring each other. We will get through this and come out a different version of ourselves.